Getting licensed on my own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

john8791

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have a BS in electrical engineering and have worked in the RV/Bus industry for 18 years, both on the 12VDC low voltage side as well as some on 120/240VAC side. I have also helped out with some of the plant maintenance dealing with 480 3 phase equipment. I really would like to become a licensed electrician both as a boost for my qualifications as well as personal interest. We have no "in house" licensed electricians anymore so I would not be able to work under someone as an apprentice. What is the procedure to just get licensed on my own? I live in the state of Iowa.

Thanks

cadpoint

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it looks like I can't get licensed without being in an apprentice program. Not going to quit my current job for that.
Well sorry to here it. One would think they would open up the net alittle bit and let others in, I read a few pages of the laws, I couldn't find "special" but if that's your requirements... it's a cold reality.
Good Luck just the same!

nakulak

if it is in fact true that you can't get licensed in your jurisdiction (I consult your electrical board directly), that does not necessarily preclude you from getting licensed in another jurisdiction and possibly getting licensed where you are now at some later date.

john8791

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Can't really see the "unfortunate" part of this.

At my company, we do "hands on" training periodically for people at our factory to learn to troubleshoot and fix our equipment. Many are independent mobile service types. They get certified on an individual basis based on their ability, not by which union they belong too. Sorry to sound snippy, but I resent the implication that if I can prove my ability to perform a job and pass the required exam(s) that I shouldn't be able to get licensed.

LawnGuyLandSparky

At my company, we do "hands on" training periodically for people at our factory to learn to troubleshoot and fix our equipment. Many are independent mobile service types. They get certified on an individual basis based on their ability, not by which union they belong too. Sorry to sound snippy, but I resent the implication that if I can prove my ability to perform a job and pass the required exam(s) that I shouldn't be able to get licensed.

You're putting way too much emphasis on booksmarts. You're not an electrician, not working in a 12 volt bus yard for 18 years and "helping out" with the 3-phase 480 volt motor controls anyway... There is a specific career path towards becoming a licensed electrician if that was your goal, and unfortnately, the path you've been on wasn't it.

iwire

Staff member
Sorry to sound snippy, but I resent the implication that if I can prove my ability to perform a job and pass the required exam(s) that I shouldn't be able to get licensed.

And all of those that spent 3 - 4 years as apprentices to get their license would be a bit resentful if someone could bypass that just because they feel they are qualified.

Given the background you gave us, in my opinion you are far from qualified to be called an 'electrician'.

john8791

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
And all of those that spent 3 - 4 years as apprentices to get their license would be a bit resentful if someone could bypass that just because they feel they are qualified.

Given the background you gave us, in my opinion you are far from qualified to be called an 'electrician'.

I am not wanting to "bypass". I just wish there were some avenue other than an apprenticeship program. Maybe some training program where you can accumulate hours towards your goal.

I see your point though. As an electrical engineer who spent almost 5 years getting my degree, I does make you feel a little resentful when you see people tacking the word "engineer" on to their job title who have no degree.

cadpoint

MO;
It's sad the way they wrote the laws of your state, many people are in your same position at other plants, and of course in other various parts of the industry.

I do like the suggestion of a direct consult with the regional and state board(s).

I know our state has various ways to various occupations but qualified documentation is the only way to get a test!

Page 79 Here of our state application shows the break down.

kwired

Electron manager
I went to a 2 year school for electrical, I most likely would have passed the contractors exam sometime early in the 2nd year if I would have been eligible to take it. That said there was no way I was ready to be a contractor at that time, experience does make a difference. Which is also the reason why you have to be a journeyman first.

john8791

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I went to a 2 year school for electrical, I most likely would have passed the contractors exam sometime early in the 2nd year if I would have been eligible to take it. That said there was no way I was ready to be a contractor at that time, experience does make a difference. Which is also the reason why you have to be a journeyman first.

I definitely understand the need for experience. Like Cadpoint points out, there are many people who work in manufacturing environments where it is legal to do repairs on existing equipment, but to set up a new work area (ie. paint booth, foreman office, etc) state law prohibits us from doing the work. Again, I am not minimizing the need for experience, just that maybe a different avenue and maybe different license class needs to be established.

john8791

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
MO;
It's sad the way they wrote the laws of your state, many people are in your same position at other plants, and of course in other various parts of the industry.

I do like the suggestion of a direct consult with the regional and state board(s).

I know our state has various ways to various occupations but qualified documentation is the only way to get a test!

Page 79 Here of our state application shows the break down.

I found this in the link you gave. Looks like this is what our state should have:

(ii) for the licensing of persons, partnerships, firms or corporations wishing to engage in electrical contracting work as an incidental part of their primary business, which is a lawful business other than electrical contracting, under which license a licensee shall be permitted to engage only in a specific phase of electrical contracting of a special, limited nature directly in connection with said primary business.

wawireguy

3/4 of the electricians I run into shouldn't be electricians either.. Can't see it hurting letting a engineer join the fray.

electricmanscott

I am not wanting to "bypass". I just wish there were some avenue other than an apprenticeship program. Maybe some training program where you can accumulate hours towards your goal.

At least be honest. You are looking to bypass the requirements.

They do have training programs where you accumulate hours toward your goal. They're called apprenticeships. :D

stevenje

At least be honest. You are looking to bypass the requirements.

They do have training programs where you accumulate hours toward your goal. They're called apprenticeships. :D

I agree. The only way to learn this business is by apprenticeship. What puzzles me is if you really want to become a "qualified" licensed journeyman, why would you not want to do your four years of apprenticeship? Your Electrical Engineering degree works great on paper, but will serve you very little when your hanging a pipe rack 20 feet in the air on a cold winters morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.