Recepticle above ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you install a 120v outlet above a T-bar ceiling for a piece of equipment in the ceiling that plugs in? The cord does not penetrate the ceiling everything is above the T-bar.

Volta

What would be the reason for ever installing a receptacle above a t-bar if you cant plug anything into it anyway,. For maintenance work maybe?

Yes, or to use it for a plug-in transformer or power supply. Or above a t-bar with no tiles is ok too. :grin:

iwire

Staff member
400.8 also0 refers you back to 400.7. Seems this could be subject to interpretation, would it not?

Not to me, in my opinion the NEC clearly prohibits all cords covered by Article 400 from being installed above ceilings.

1019512720_2.gif

shepelec

The example that comes to mind would be a UL listed cord connected condesate pump for an HVAC unit in the ceiling, that seems to fall under 400.7(8). :-?

iwire

Staff member
The example that comes to mind would be a UL listed cord connected condesate pump for an HVAC unit in the ceiling, that seems to fall under 400.7(8). :-?

Happens all the time, it is a violation none the less.

I have had inspectors bust me on it. Another issue is that if it is a plastic pump in a ceiling used for air handling the pump has to be listed for use in plenums.

luckyshadow

Another location that is common to have cords above ceilings.
The blower motors located above bank drive throughs.
I turned it down and was over ruled based on the claim of regularly scheduled maintenance. The bank claims they have a company that does regular scheduled maintenance that includes inspecting the motors above the drive through.

shepelec

The point I am getting at is, if it is an absolute rule, then how come 400.8 allows us to reffer to 400.7?

400.8 says "unless specifically permitted in 400.7".

I am not starting a war here just trying to be constructive.

iwire

Staff member
The point I am getting at is, if it is an absolute rule, then how come 400.8 allows us to reffer to 400.7?

400.8 says "unless specifically permitted in 400.7".

I am not starting a war here just trying to be constructive.

There is nothing in 400.7 that specifically permits cords above ceilings.

luckyshadow

Look at it like this.

Hanging strip lights in a grocery store. They hang on aircraft cable from the box mounted in the ceiling. They are fed with white cords that go into the ceiling box at one end and the light fixture at the other.
Now the cord is being used as permanent wiring for the fixture. According to 400.8 this is not allowed as it would be a substutue for the fixed wiring of a structure.

But... 400.7(2) does allow this.

So 400.8(1) says NO unless specifically permitted by 400.7 ( 400.7(2))

shepelec

Thats what I am getting at.

Look at 400.7(8), now how could that be interpreted?

It seems to be a pretty broad based statement, is it not?:)

kbsparky

Not to me, in my opinion the NEC clearly prohibits all cords covered by Article 400 from being installed above ceilings.

1019512720_2.gif

But not class 2 wiring! If one were to plug in what is commonly called a "wall wart" there is no "Cord" exposed .... the load is the transformer. Beyond that is considered class 2 wiring and not subject to the same rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.