splice under sheetrock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What about 334.40(B)

334.40 Boxes and Fittings.(B) Devices of Insulating Material. Switch, outlet, and tap devices of insulating material shall be permitted to be used without boxes in exposed cable wiring and for rewiring in existing buildings where the cable is concealed and fished. Openings in such devices shall form a close fit around the outer covering of the cable, and the device shall fully enclose the part of the cable from which any part of the covering has been removed. Where connections to conductors are by binding-screw terminals, there shall be available as many terminals as conductors.

Here is the link for the device that would be compliant

480sparky

I still don't see the Tyco thingies as being legal. According to Dennis's link to 334.80, the cable must be fished. If you're fishing a new cable, why do you need a splice in it?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I still don't see the Tyco thingies as being legal. According to Dennis's link to 334.80, the cable must be fished. If you're fishing a new cable, why do you need a splice in it?

I agree it is very unclear. I never understood the logic. By the way, that link was taken from another thread where you posted the link. :)

480sparky

So where do you stand on this issue now? BTW, I would never use them. I have replaced a few under trailers that have gone bad and I rarely work on trailers.

Did they fail because of their exposure to the elements? I realize they're not out in the open, but under a trailer or mobile home it can get quite humid.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Did they fail because of their exposure to the elements? I realize they're not out in the open, but under a trailer or mobile home it can get quite humid.

Actually, it wasn't a trailer , my bad ,but a modular home and no it wasn't very moist at all.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
So where do you stand on this issue now? BTW, I would never use them. I have replaced a few under trailers that have gone bad and I rarely work on trailers.

I have never seen one is use, but my FIRST thoughts come from your link to their product description which seems to indicate it is approved for concealed work in Art 550 & 551 applications and exposed in other applications.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I have never seen one is use, but my FIRST thoughts come from your link to their product description which seems to indicate it is approved for concealed work in Art 550 & 551 applications and exposed in other applications.

Which leads me to ask why would it be okay in a trailer but not a home? Maybe the longevity of a house being around as opposed to a trailer???

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
maybe becaues its no worse than some other mobile home products :)
(like the "no box" receptacles)

mivey

maybe becaues its no worse than some other mobile home products :)
(like the "no box" receptacles)
Sorta like if you live in a powder keg, what's one more stick of dynamite going to matter? :grin:

I can't see the difference myself. I know of some pretty old trailers.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
I think I have seen these connectors on cables at the mating walls of modular homes.

I have worked on only 6 or so modulars, only 1 had these connectors.
Usually the separate "boxes" have lengths of cables laying on the top of the box which will be in the attic.

Some have jboxes some don't.

rosie06

in a existing dwelling a homeowner wants a wall removed. The wall has a switch that controls a light on the ceiling he wants the switch moved to a new location the wiring is bx can a handy box with connectors and a blank cover get buried in the wall and solder the conductors where in the nec does it say you cant do this

jumper

in a existing dwelling a homeowner wants a wall removed. The wall has a switch that controls a light on the ceiling he wants the switch moved to a new location the wiring is bx can a handy box with connectors and a blank cover get buried in the wall and solder the conductors where in the nec does it say you cant do this
314.29 in 05 code. wiring in boxes shall be accessible

dana1028

UL

UL

If you take a look in a current UL White Book [2009], on pg. 445 they cross reference NEC code sections with UL listed electrical equipment.

They list three different parts that are referenced for 334.40(B):
QAAV - pg. 275 - NM Cable Interconnectors
RTRT - pg. 327 - , and
WJQR - pg. 385

I don't have a Green Book [that's the one that also lists the mfr's?]...but it would seem someone has a product out there that does comply with 334.40(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.