shower cans

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1971

2, 6" recessed cans in a shower and the shower head is coming out of the ceiling in between the two cans. Cans will have shower trim pieces installed. Does anyone see any issues or violations with this configuration?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You do realize even though we may be correct on this, it may not stop an inspector from red tagging it. If it is a shower trim than I believe they are good for wet location even though it may not be subject to shower spray.

Article 410.10(D) is what you need to fight.:grin:

quogueelectric

Hey you cant live forever!! BTW I allways gfci shower lighting anyway. Small expense to me and huge possible benefit if the worst were to happen

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I have put in hundreds of shower cans and never once have I used GFCI protection. As far as I know I haven't lost a client thru death in the shower yet.

IMO, the NEC would have that code changed if someone got hurt in the shower from a situation like this.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
What are you guys preventing by gfci protecting a shower light? :confused:
Homeowner relamping with his hand on shower control, especially if the lamp is broken. However, plastic plumbing may make this moot depending on water conductivity.

Yes, I know working hot is wrong, but there is nothing preventing unmarked (3-way) switches.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Homeowner relamping with his hand on shower control, especially if the lamp is broken. However, plastic plumbing may make this moot depending on water conductivity.

Yes, I know working hot is wrong, but there is nothing preventing unmarked (3-way) switches.

Do you GFCI protect lights over the bathroom or kitchen sinks. Gee a homeowner in sorts jumps up on the counter, kneeling, his knees hit the faucet and he re-lamps the fixture. OMG, he's dead. :grin:

iwire

Staff member

See post 11.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Do you GFCI protect lights over the bathroom or kitchen sinks. Gee a homeowner in sorts jumps up on the counter, kneeling, his knees hit the faucet and he re-lamps the fixture. OMG, he's dead. :grin:

You know, I usually hang a hard hat in the kitchen to prevent the homeowner from hitting their head on the cabinet as they're climbing up to relamp the fixture. Don't need a lawsuit, you know. :)

stars13bars2

I got a red tag once for no gfci on shower can light and to get it passed I had to provide spec sheet for can and trim to prove the mfg. didn't recommend gfci when used in shower.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I got a red tag once for no gfci on shower can light and to get it passed I had to provide spec sheet for can and trim to prove the mfg. didn't recommend gfci when used in shower.

Are there actually manufacturers that require GFCI protection for shower lights? I've yet to see one. IMO the inspector should not have given you a red tag in the first place. There was no violation.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Are there actually manufacturers that require GFCI protection for shower lights? I've yet to see one.

I think someone saw that a fan light needs GFCI protection over a shower, at least all the ones I have done require it, and they assumed all equipment over a shower needs it.

Status
Not open for further replies.