electric solenoid gas valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Bob

fire suppression system. i got the rest of the wiring but the solenoid gas vale is confusing me a little.

There's 5 terminals on the reset box for solenoid. I understand power goes to it, hot to 2, neutral to 5.
from the microswitch common goes to 3 and NO to 4.
Now here it is where i'm not that sure:

It says :"install one side of the load cable to terminal 1, the other to terminal 5"

Well the gas solenoid valve has 3 wires, 2 red and one green.
-I understand that the reds are leads, but why are both red?
-Shouldn't one of them be a neutral, and be white then?
-According to the reset box diagram, the leads from the load go to terminal 1 and 5 (5 being neutral terminal), does it matter which lead goes to which terminal then?

Thanks.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Every solenoid I've ever seen hasn't had a white wire. You'll get used to it.:)

I don't reidentify one of them white either.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
CB, don't bother coloring the wire, just connect it. I also don't follow the reset box diagram, because it requires a dedicated microswitch.

I feed line power to a microswitch's COM terminal, and feed the reset box from the NC terminal. I jump terminals 3 and 4 and feed that from the NC.

Any contactors and/or RIB's also run from this microswitch NC terminal. The NO terminal of that same microswitch usually feeds a horn-strobe.

The neutral lands on terminal #5, and the solenoid is fed from #1. I sometimes, but not always, run two wires into and two wires out of the reset box.

Sometimes, I run a single 3-conductor MC or 3 wires in EMT to the reset box: line in, solenoid out, and neutral, and the wiring separates at the other end.

The electrical wiring and connections may be the same, but how I physically route the wiring depends on the layout of the kitchen. Every one is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.