GFCI testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
100302-0633 EST

wptski:

The Leviton 7889 comes out of the box in the tripped state. Also the output terminals are covered. If correctly installed in this state, then the device can not be reset unless its internal circuitry and part of the mechanism passes its self test.

If the tape is removed from the output terminals, the device is in its tripped state, and the input supply is wired to the output terminals, then the device can not be reset.

If the device is reset, then wired input supply to output terminals power will flow to the socket and to the input terminals which are now actually the output. This will continue to pass power until the test button is operated. Thereafter it can not be reset.

There is no test for hot and neutral being interchanged.

wptski

100302-0633 EST

wptski:

The Leviton 7889 comes out of the box in the tripped state. Also the output terminals are covered. If correctly installed in this state, then the device can not be reset unless its internal circuitry and part of the mechanism passes its self test.

If the tape is removed from the output terminals, the device is in its tripped state, and the input supply is wired to the output terminals, then the device can not be reset.

If the device is reset, then wired input supply to output terminals power will flow to the socket and to the input terminals which are now actually the output. This will continue to pass power until the test button is operated. Thereafter it can not be reset.

There is no test for hot and neutral being interchanged.

That's why I said that I may be wrong!:D

wptski

Interestingly, I found this Fluke application note just today. Evidently, you can and must test/certify GFIs (RCDs) in the EU but not in the US or Canada...

http://fluke.informationstore.net/efulfillment.asp?publication=11545-eng
Yes, I mentioned this in another thread here. Although Fluke sells a 1653B, you can't purchase one here.

Do to a conversation in Fluke Forum about the Ideal Suretest 61-165 loop testing, I was contacted by Fluke and was asked if I'd like to play with a 1653B demo unit for a month or so. Of course, I jumped at the chance!

It's a big unit. One thing, unlike the Ideal unit, it doesn't trip a GFCI during ground loop testing.

mivey

First I must apologize because I posted my previous reply after reading only page 1 of the thread, then to my surprise my post jumped to the end of page 4. So I have now learned, rookie that i am, to look at the number of pages and read all the postings before replying! That is why some of my comments were out of place.
You can set your options to show 40 posts per page. It makes reading much easier.

gar

Occupation
EE
100302-1344 EST

wptski:

Your statement on the newer GFCIs is basically correct and concise, and I was only expanding on it for those that have not investigated GFCI operations.

It is also true that different brands have different solutions to address the problems that existed with older units.

gar

Occupation
EE
100302-1352 EST

Larry:

My comment was referring to the internal GFCI test, and therefore a good reason to do some external test for correct connection of hot and neutral. Your method is a useful technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.