document your job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I could agree with that if I were in Tom's shoes and the customer called me and said that for what ever reason, they could not afford to pay the full amount or could not pay it all at once. They are being upfront and could be worked with. BUT for them to claim fraud against me when I know I provided quality work to them. I would try to nail them for every thing I could and then some.

Stay calm HUMMMMMMMMM:D
Or refer to my avatar which ever works

As long as the economy stays poor and the Laws favor the Homeowner we will see more and more homeowners playing this game.

I had a client we had to file the lein. And in CA you must file suit also before the time runs on the lein. I warnded the client to make arangements before I lien an they refused. I did the lein , then a suit, then lawyers , It was not until the Depositions that the truth came out. But they still refused to pay. They tried to bully me by telling me that they will srutinize each and every document and wear the judge and Jury out. i would not back down. They finally settled for about 3 times what I would have done so in the beggining. Plus they had to pay all of their legal fees. WOW. What idiots.

AV ELECTRIC

It's one thing to win a judgement. How does one assure collection?

In all my experiences in small claims court and collections I was in the wright or won the judgment but never received a dime . I would say it is a very small part of my business where people just outright don't want to pay for whatever reason over the years most people are decent and they do pay, eventually.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
In all my experiences in small claims court and collections I was in the wright or won the judgment but never received a dime . I would say it is a very small part of my business where people just outright don't want to pay for whatever reason over the years most people are decent and they do pay, eventually.

I had the lein. I knew the property needed to be sold. The judgement gave them time to come up with the 30k and if they failed he would order the property sold. I got my money the week before the Foreclosure was to start.

fondini

Just a sidenote, a friend of mine owns a bar, when he gets bad checks[I know ,who writes checks to a bar?] he posts their name and how much they owe one the sign out front! So far he has collected on every one of them.His lawyer has told him their is no problem since a check is a "contract to pay". He got the idea from a video store that had a list of names of people that couldnt rent videos posted where anyone could see. Seems fair to me to point out deadbeats.

AV ELECTRIC

I had the lein. I knew the property needed to be sold. The judgement gave them time to come up with the 30k and if they failed he would order the property sold. I got my money the week before the Foreclosure was to start.

Its great to here a success story in these situations .

satcom

I have to disagree, I have had inspection dept. help me to collect on several occasions. I always try to maintain a good relationship with them for this reason.

Yes, they have helped plenty of contractors who have not been paid, and had signed contracts and passed final inspections, I would suspect a lot of guys can't ask for help because they don't have contracts or permits for jobs.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

What else do you guys keep?

The more I think of "fraudulant" the more POd I become. Am I overreacting?

every job we do gets a signed contract; for new construction it can be lengthy, but on service work its just a paragraph or two saying they authorize the work to begin at the price written in. it gets signed before the job starts. after the job ends, they sign again under another paragraph that basically says the work was completed to their satisfaction; pretty bulletproof i suppose.

and we never do a job w/o the customer knowing exactly what they're going to pay.

sparky=t

Once we turn a bill over for collections we no longer are to contact the customer. All contact is through the CA. They will take it to court as needed. I will get to testify. whoopee. We had done all the preliminary of making phone calls etc. He ignored all phone calls from us until we finally used the secretarys cell to call. Then it was the normal bulloney.

I've had people complain about costs before, not quality of work.
Fraud just blows my mind.

I have stated before on here that very little of my work is signed contract. We may not even see the customer.

work on some one's word or hand shake still happens all though it is becoming more rare due to just this thing!!:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.