cutler hammer, square d, or murray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ty

I would have to disagree. I have had CH bus bars flex at the main lugs.
I have never seen or heard of this problem. ever.

A few years ago that was a no brainer, CH Classic was the best all over, then someone got a bright idea to change the bus in the panel, and ever since that change, breakers fall out and loose fit in panel, now we consider it's just another junk product, this is after over 30 years of use.
I have never seen or heard of this problem either.
Is this something YOU have witnessed, or your guys in the field are reporting?
Our CH breakers snap in tight every time.
Maybe you've installed a few that were missing the clip, for some reason.

Yeah, once I snapped a neutral bar just by tightening the set screw on a wire.:roll:
Doubtful, from normal torque, but if it happened, that would be a warranty issue.
I don't think that some odd, rare fault deems the whole product line 'junk'. But I take it you are being sarcastic.

Start with a panel full of breakers, some of them on, and others off. Now trip one out. I dare you to find the tripped breaker in the CH panel without knowing which breaker it was beforehand.

Do the same thing with a QO panel. No problem locating the tripped breaker in a matter of seconds. Even the Homeline breakers go ?-way when tripped.
Let's see..for starters, how are you going to 'make' this breaker trip? By using my 'boom box'?
What does it really matter if there is a trip indicator window??
The panel label should be clearly marked.
And, one should never just re-set a tripped breaker, without first checking out the circuit, which would require the panel cover to be removed, anyway.

PetrosA

I have to agree that the QO series are great for the orange trip indicator. It makes dealing with tripped breakers over the phone an easy task, even if you're talking to the lady of the house who's not even sure what the "panel" is.

I've seen both QO and CH breakers loose on their bus bars (likely due to loose spring clips, which are a poor design in the first place), so no clear winner there. I do prefer the CH neutral busses, though.

kbsparky

....What does it really matter if there is a trip indicator window??
The panel label should be clearly marked.
And, one should never just re-set a tripped breaker, without first checking out the circuit, which would require the panel cover to be removed, anyway.

In the real world panels are often marked improperly, if at all.

Checking out a tripped circuit is not always necessary, especially if the known source of the fault has been corrected.

It is not necessary for a homeowner to remove a panel cover before resetting a tripped breaker. They reset them all the time without incident. It all depends on the circumstances that caused the breaker to trip in the first place.

Now if one resets a tripped breaker and it immediately blows again, that is grounds for calling in a professional and testing the circuit removing, the cover, etc.

In the case I posted about earlier, this came from personal experience. We were on a new mall construction project, and had an extension cord plugged into one of the temp outlets there. Running a saw, along with all the temp lights caused an overload, which tripped out the breaker.

We checked the panel, and discovered it was a Cutler-Hammer, with about ? the breakers on, and the rest off. Nothing was marked. No way could we tell which breaker was the one that needed to be reset without removing the cover, and manually tracing the wires and circuit.

No way were we even going to attempt switching on any of those "off" breakers due to the numerous other temp lines hanging about.

A panel with breakers that indicate a tripped condition would have been much more desirable in such a scenario.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I have found that with the GE's,Murray's and the like, if you run your thumb or finger down the row of breakers pushing them to the "On" position, that if there is a tripped one you will feel it move. A lot of times it will actually go back to the middle position like it was supposed to. QO's and CH's seem to clear faults quicker than the rest of them. I actually have an NQOD single phase panel in my house (being free also helped).

guitarchris

i agree cutler hammer classic is high quality and highly priced. i would use them but at well over $3 for a 15 amp single pole there not for me.

If you get your pricing set up and actually buy a decent amount you can get your single pole CH classic's for under 3 bucks. Very fair prices for a great problem. We have only had one problem with new CH stuff, it was a batch of breakers that would not reset. CH rep brought new ones to the job site and collected the bad ones, this was 15+ years ago.
I like to stick with one brand so that we can service our existing customers. I can know when they call that I will have the full line of basic breakers on my truck to do most any additions they might need.
We carry a fair amount of common breakers anyhow:
15's and 20's SP and 30A DP of:
We carry a decent amount of ITE/siemens stuff too and
SQD QO and HOM, CH BR,GE, various used crouse hinds,zinsco and FPE.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I've seen both QO and CH breakers loose on their bus bars (likely due to loose spring clips, which are a poor design in the first place), so no clear winner there.

I know the QO design was introduced in the mid 50's and has remained unchanged since then. The CH design has been available for at least 35 years.

So, what in your opinion makes them a 'poor design'?

Other than these two, I cannot think of another breaker that is used in both residential and 'spec grade' (i.e. 20" wide box) panelboards.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A panel with breakers that indicate a tripped condition would have been much more desirable in such a scenario.
Okay, but what would you have done if the half-of-the-panel-were-off breakers you found off were QO's and they all showed orange? ;)

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Anything GE is junk!! I will never buy GE crap again!!:mad:

Murray is good for resi, QO or QOB for commercial / industrial.:cool:

GE is crap for commercial too, the orange box switched to GE for their new stores once Nardelli took over (previous GE big shot). The buss floats in the panels, so if you push on a 20 amp breaker, the buss bends back into the cabinet. Real crappy design.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
What kind of problems did you have with Bryant that gave you a bad taste?
Main breaker in 200 amp power was too stiff to turn on if someone turned it off couldn't get it back on. I don't have the statistics but remember changing several, the supplier made them good but I had the trip and labor time. At least two I changed out hot where there was a bolt-in meter, don't worry, I was younger then and would not recommend this practice.

Ken In NJ

QO for most Services

QOB for Commercial .. especially if a higher then 10K AIC is required .. I just finshed a service that required 22K AIC breakers .. Not cheap :roll:

Last edited:

guitarchris

Main breaker in 200 amp power was too stiff to turn on if someone turned it off couldn't get it back on. I don't have the statistics but remember changing several, the supplier made them good but I had the trip and labor time. At least two I changed out hot where there was a bolt-in meter, don't worry, I was younger then and would not recommend this practice.

BR Main breakers are now pretty much the same as the CH classic last time I had one side by side.

Status
Not open for further replies.