Tread Mill In Garage. Can't put on GFCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jljohnson

If a single treadmill causes a problem, what about a GYM that has many of them running at once plus other similiar machines?

Not an issue at all in this application as the "GYM" is not likely in a residential basement or garage where GFI protection is mandated by the NEC. I have wired entire rooms full of treadmills, elipticals, and other equipment in health clubs and never had to install GFI receptacles for them.

RUWired

I would cut the cord and wire it into a disconnect, have the manufacturer e-mail an ok.
Frank thats an excellent idea to get around the GFI issue with the manufacturer and the nec code. Does the manufacturer need to know the the cord cap went bad and you replaced it with a disconnect.
icon12.gif

Cavie

He says the 'manufacturers instructions' states NOT to plug into a gfci.

Manufacturer knows it has a cheap Chinese motor. Install the gfi, take a picture, and leave a regular receptical on the floor. Ok in a gym, not safe in a house. Just plan stupid.

Regardless of code. First thing to do is to verify that the treadmill has a ground conductor and that it is properly bonded to the metal frame of the treadmill.

Then plug the unit in and verify with a meter that there is definitely no voltage on the unit indicating that there may be an improper ground.

After this, I would personaly have no problem wiring the unit as you said to a dedicated receptacle.

Often when I have issues such as this, I have the customer sign a waiver perhaps recommending a different treadmill and that you explained the situation. I have many customers that refuse to replace outside receptacles with GFI's. Many times if find that they had them removed intentionally.

For what it's worth.

M. D.

I think it would be hard to find a treadmill that is compatible with GFCI protected receptcles ,. at least I have yet to find one ,. just do a google search ,.. I saw at least a dozen and they all said no GFCI .

I also found this discussion you might like to read it,.. gets a bit off track but some interesting thoughts.

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41239

MarkyMarkNC

I think it would be hard to find a treadmill that is compatible with GFCI protected receptcles ,. at least I have yet to find one ,. just do a google search ,.. I saw at least a dozen and they all said no GFCI .

I also found this discussion you might like to read it,.. gets a bit off track but some interesting thoughts.

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41239

"Bit off track" is a bit of an understatement. Wow......

About six or seven pages in, one guy makes an interesting point about large DC motors and PWM controllers, which actually sounded like a plausible theory to me, but then he was shouted out of the thread by the same two or three guys that were having that "interesting" argument over physics books.

mcclary's electrical

Not an issue at all in this application as the "GYM" is not likely in a residential basement or garage where GFI protection is mandated by the NEC. I have wired entire rooms full of treadmills, elipticals, and other equipment in health clubs and never had to install GFI receptacles for them.

You might wanna read 210.8 (b)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Is the garage climate controlled?

Locating the treadmill where a GFCI is not required is not the only requirement.

IMPORTANT: The treadmill is not compatible with GFCI-equipped outlets.

It is essential that your treadmill is used only indoors, in a climate controlled room. If your treadmill has been exposed to colder temperatures or high moisture climates, it is strongly recommended that the treadmill is warmed up to room temperature before first time use. Failure to do so may cause premature electronic failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.