My company wants to use my license number?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtm87

Hey guys, my company asked me for my license number today, so they can put it on the permit for the job that I am starting this week. I have never heard of a company doing this, and to me it doesn't seem right... Does anyone have any insight on this, is it legal? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

tkb

In MA, the company needs to have a Master licence in the company name.
The Master license holder needs to be an officer of the company.

If they are asking you for your license number to use on a permit, they are not a legal company.
I would not give them your license number for a permit.

tkb

This is from the MA licensing boards website.

13.17: Corporate License

(1) Applicants for a Class A (Master's) or Class C (Systems Contractor) Corporation Certificate shall be holders of a Massachusetts Class A (Master's) or Class C (Systems Contractor) license in order to be the holder of a corporate license and shall provide to the Board the following:
(a) a completed application form together with the fee set by the Secretary of Administration and Finance;
(b) a list of all officers of such corporation and the qualifying officer certified by the Clerk of the corporation as a true copy of its records
(c) a copy of its Articles of Organization;
(d) a copy of the bylaws or if applicable agreement naming the Qualifying Officer and his or her responsibilities;
(e) the name of the individual holding the Class A (Master's) or Class C (System Contractor) license who will serve as the Qualifying Officer who may be a current employee; and
(f) a letter from the Qualifying Officer requesting that the Board grant the corporation a certificate based on the examination previously passed by him or her.

18.01: Rules Governing Practice

(1) Two or more Journeyman electricians shall not associate as partners or otherwise engage in the business or occupation of installing, repairing or maintaining wires, conduits, apparatus, devices, fixtures, or other appliances used for light, heat, power, fire warning or security system purposes without obtaining the necessary Master electrician license.

(2) A licensee shall only engage in the electrical trade or otherwise conduct business in the name printed on his or her license. Any sign, advertisement or other business communication of a Master electrician (Class A) or Journeyman electrician (Class B) or Systems Contractor (Class C) shall indicate the type of license and the license number.

(3) All persons, firms, and corporations engaging in or working at the business of installing wires, conduits, apparatus, devices, fixtures, or other appliances for carrying electricity for light, heat, power, fire warning or security system purposes and employing learners and apprentices shall keep, or cause to be kept, accurate and detailed records of such employment for no less than seven years and shall permit the Board or its agents to inspect and copy such records upon request.

(4) Any licensee performing electrical installations shall comply with the uniform state electrical permit application and notification processes as set forth in M.G.L. c. 143, ? 3L and the Massachusetts Electrical Code, 527 CMR 12.00.
(5) Each licensee shall disclose to the Board any pending complaint or finding made against him or her made by a court, other state or federal agency or, where applicable, by a licensing board of another jurisdiction.

(6) Each person, firm, or corporation holding a license and entering into, engaging in, or working at the business of installing, testing, repairing, or maintaining wires, conduits, apparatus, devices, fixtures, or other appliances used for carrying or using electricity for light, heat, power, fire warning or security system purposes shall be governed by the regulations of the Board, all applicable provisions of Massachusetts laws, and any regulations promulgated pursuant to the provisions of such laws; and with respect to all requirements of public safety not therein provided for, such person, firm, or corporation shall be governed by the minimum standards set forth in the Massachusetts Electrical Code, 527 CMR 12.00, provided that such Code and its amendments have been adopted by the Board, and provided further that a copy of the Code as adopted has been filed with the Massachusetts Office of the Secretary of State.

(7) A Journeyman electrician shall have no more than one apprentice/helper under his or her direct supervision or employ.

(8) A Systems Contractor cannot act as an electrical contractor. A Journeyman electrician employed by a Systems Contractor is limited to performing electrical work for the Systems Contractor which is directly related to the provision of power to a security system or fire alarm. This does not preclude the electrician from doing work normally done by Systems Technician.

(9) Requirement to Cooperate with the Board.
(a) A licensee or applicant shall respond in the requested timeframe to any written communication from the Board or its designee and shall make available to the Board any requested/relevant records with respect to an inquiry or complaint about the licensee or applicant?s professional conduct.
(b) A licensee or applicant shall cooperate with any agent or employee acting on behalf of the Board.
(c) Failure to abide by the provisions of 237 CMR 18.01(9) shall be grounds for disciplinary action against a licensee and, in the case of an applicant, denial of a license.

Cavie

You got enough insurance to cover any and all screw ups that my happen??? Did they offer lot's of $$$$$ for your license. You willing to risk your license for the future for one job?? Do it legal and get lots of money or don't do it.

LawnGuyLandSparky

Hey guys, my company asked me for my license number today, so they can put it on the permit for the job that I am starting this week. I have never heard of a company doing this, and to me it doesn't seem right... Does anyone have any insight on this, is it legal? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Of course it's legal. They're probably paying someone else for their license, now they got you.

drbond24

In WV, that is very illegal. Both the company and you would be in trouble, and you'd probably lose your license (or at least get it suspended for a while). Ignorance isn't a good defense to the PE board. They make the rules available to everyone. You need to get your employer in contact with the PE board in your state so they can do it the right way.

LawnGuyLandSparky

Do you have anything to back this up?

What did I say that needs backing up? Where licenses are required, it is not uncommon for contractors who are not licensed to hire a licenseholder in order to pull permits and operate legitimately. It is also not uncommon for licenseholders to simply sell the use of their licenses and the mock-up employer/employee relationship exists only on paper.

gtm87

thanks for the responses guys, I didn't give them my license number for the permit, but who's to say they didn't just look it up and put it down anyways, I will find out when I see the permit. The owner does have his license, I have no idea why they tried to do this, my PM came from the same company that I use to work for and he said something to our owner and asked why and he said "thats how we do things here." I told him I wasn't putting my number down on it and he said ok and used his own number. The owner said back to me that "the liability is on the licensed electrician on site, not the company so what is the difference."

Cavie

. The owner said back to me that "the liability is on the licensed electrician on site, not the company so what is the difference."
The liability is on the license holder for the company. not the person on the job. Don't sweat that part. your boss is not the brightest bulb on the xmas tree.

EBFD6

I just have to say,

PUT YOUR LOCATION IN YOUR PROFILE

Sorry, Carry on.

(I know technically the OP has his location in his profile but not in the right place, just a minor pet peeve of mine when peoples location is not in the right hand corner)

Last edited:

Cavie

The liability is spread all around with an extra large helping on the person that actually did the work.

Don't know how you Yankees do it but in Florida there is no liability on the employees unless you can prove gross negligence or intent to harm. The liability is on the license holder for the business. Here you only need a license holder to qualify the company and as many bodies as you desire. No knowledge of electricity or the codes is required to do the work. just tell the monkeys to pull the wire from this tree to that tree and so on.

EBFD6

Don't know how you Yankees do it but in Florida there is no liability on the employees unless you can prove gross negligence or intent to harm. The liability is on the license holder for the business. Here you only need a license holder to qualify the company and as many bodies as you desire. No knowledge of electricity or the codes is required to do the work. just tell the monkeys to pull the wire from this tree to that tree and so on.

In MA all work needs to be done by a licensed journeyman or an apprentice under the direct supervision of a licensed journeyman, ratios on the job site are 1 journeyman to 1 apprentice. The company needs to have a master license (unless they are a one man show, Journeymen can pull permits but can only have one apprentice working under them) and the master has some liability but each journeyman is legally responsible for the work he does unless he can prove that the owner/master license for the company told him specifically to do something wrong. Even in that case I would imagine that the journeyman would still be responsible to a degree if he knowingly violated the code regardless of the orders from the "boss".

Also, to answer the OP's original question, the only way my license number is going on a permit is if the entire payment for the job is being written out to me. If I am getting ALL of the money, then I will take on ALL of the responsibility. I would not pull permits for my bosses company.

gtm87

I just have to say,

PUT YOUR LOCATION IN YOUR PROFILE

Sorry, Carry on.

(I know technically the OP has his location in his profile but not in the right place, just a minor pet peeve of mine when peoples location is not in the right hand corner)

Done......

electricmanscott

There must not be any lawyers in Florida. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.