Lead-Safe seminars

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Has anyone else become aware ofthe the new EPA lead-safe law :
http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/renovation.htm

There's been a lot of talk in my contractors' association meetings. Some of the guys are starting to panic and are registering for courses that cost up to $300.00. Our State DCA here in NJ wants no part of enforcing this.

Does anyone feel that this law affects us ? For the most part you are required to practice the lead-safe rules when you are disturbing 6 sq. ft or more. A 6" remodel recessed light fixture takes up about 28 sq. inches. 6 sq. ft is equal to 864 sq inches.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Has anyone else become aware ofthe the new EPA lead-safe law :
http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/renovation.htm

There's been a lot of talk in my contractors' association meetings. Some of the guys are starting to panic and are registering for courses that cost up to $300.00. Our State DCA here in NJ wants no part of enforcing this.

Does anyone feel that this law affects us ? For the most part you are required to practice the lead-safe rules when you are disturbing 6 sq. ft or more. A 6" remodel recessed light fixture takes up about 28 sq. inches. 6 sq. ft is equal to 864 sq inches.

Does it effect us? Yes.

How? Only time will tell.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here's my rub with this. If my calculations are correct you would have to cut in more than 30 hi-hats in a given room in order to have to comply with this rule. The exception would be a facility like a day care center where the area cuts down to 2 sq. ft. which brings you down to over 10 hi-hats. Now, the problem arises when you have to advise the homeowner several days in advance of you doing the job. Then, if they want you to be lead-safe you would have to perform lead tests before and after the job, seal-off the area with plastic, make your cuts, clean up the area with a vacuum equipped with a HEPA filter, mop up the area with a damp mop, remove the plastic and dispose of it properly and document your work and keep it for 3 years.

Your simple $600.00, 6 hi-hat job just became $1600.00. What homeowner is going to buy that ? There will be more Home Depot trunk-slammers and DYIers doing the work.

AND, just for the record, fines start at $36,000.00 or something close to that. What's to stop someone from filing a lawsuit stating that the lead exposure in their blood is higher than before you started the work ?

What a mess this is going to be.:mad:

mkgrady

Goldstar, my understanding is we must remove six square feet of painted walls before we need to be concerned. I assume the six feet to be per project. Why do you say it is per room?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Several contractors who have gone to seminars have mentioned that it was on a per room basis. This is just another quandary. It's just one of the many unanswered questions that I would like to get answered by the EPA directly.

Jomaul

I just took this class on March 1. You need to read the whole EPA requirement. This pertains to house built prior to 1978 who have children under the age of 6 living there. If there are no childern under 6 you do not have to do anything for lead based paint.The owner could also opt out of having any testing done for lead based paint by signing a form and if they go that route you need to do nothing. What they also are not telling is that after you take the class you have to register the company with the EPA for another $300.00.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I just took this class on March 1. You need to read the whole EPA requirement. This pertains to house built prior to 1978 who have children under the age of 6 living there. If there are no childern under 6 you do not have to do anything for lead based paint.The owner could also opt out of having any testing done for lead based paint by signing a form and if they go that route you need to do nothing. What they also are not telling is that after you take the class you have to register the company with the EPA for another $300.00.
That's the problem. There's a lot of things they're not telling you. IMHO, I think this is going to be a cash cow for the govt.

revolt

Call the NAETI located in Ocean Township NJ and ask for Barbara.A real sweetheart. She had some classes open this month but will do a private class if you get 8 or better to sign up. I called other contractors and filled a class for 16 with no problem. Very nice people and willing to help. 732-531-5571

Jerseydaze

Call the NAETI located in Ocean Township NJ and ask for Barbara.A real sweetheart. She had some classes open this month but will do a private class if you get 8 or better to sign up. I called other contractors and filled a class for 16 with no problem. Very nice people and willing to help. 732-531-5571

Thats funny this is who I called randomly from the e.p.a s web site.

Jerseydaze

well I signed up for a class .A builder I do work for indicated id be required to have the cert .They didnt know for sure if I need the cert so I may be waisting $500 Idn .Oh and the girl on the phone was very nice.

satcom

well I signed up for a class .A builder I do work for indicated id be required to have the cert .They didnt know for sure if I need the cert so I may be waisting $500 Idn .Oh and the girl on the phone was very nice.

Why not the $50 Cert program.

e57

Outside of NJ - is anyone else enforcing this - I called around a little and no one seems to even know about this here????

Which is nothing new when it comes to laws affecting us...

satcom

Last edited:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
These are legit classes sponsored and given by Rutgers Univ. Could someone please verify that the NJDCA has now gotten involved ? From my last conversation with Suzanne Borek the DCA wanted nothing to do with enforcing this EPA rule.

I think the $50.00 program is worth while but you have to spend 2 days to get 3 certifications. As far as I'm concerned, when the Fed Govt. or State DCA start enforcing this then I'll go out and get my certification. I'm sure the DCA will let us know. As I stated in an earlier post, who's going to stop the trunk slammer, in this country for only a week, from doing this work (be it painting, construction or electrical)?:confused:

satcom

These are legit classes sponsored and given by Rutgers Univ. Could someone please verify that the NJDCA has now gotten involved ? From my last conversation with Suzanne Borek the DCA wanted nothing to do with enforcing this EPA rule.

I think the $50.00 program is worth while but you have to spend 2 days to get 3 certifications. As far as I'm concerned, when the Fed Govt. or State DCA start enforcing this then I'll go out and get my certification. I'm sure the DCA will let us know. As I stated in an earlier post, who's going to stop the trunk slammer, in this country for only a week, from doing this work (be it painting, construction or electrical)?:confused:

The Rutgers programs are usually pretty good and a lot less money, that is why I asked why he wants to pay $500 and your right the DCA is not involved, they will most likely depend on the permit application information to monitor the work that falls under the Law, and the expect the existing construction departments to police the work, should be intresting, they can;t police the construction codes as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.