Bonding gas piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

McCES

Is anyone installing bonding jumpers on the new CSST flexible gas line?
Do you bond at all appliances or just where the gas line enters the house?
Do you bond to grounding electrode conductor or to closest copper water line?
Are you aware of any electrical inspectors who are checking these grounds as part of their normal inspection process?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is anyone installing bonding jumpers on the new CSST flexible gas line?
Everybody should be because it is part of the manufacturers instructions. Many inspectors require a #6 while others require the size to be the same as the GEC.

Do you bond at all appliances or just where the gas line enters the house?
Just where it enters or anywhere where there is access to the black pipe or the connectors on the CSST.

Do you bond to grounding electrode conductor or to closest copper water line?
I usually go back to the service but I believe you could use the closest GEC if it is of appropriate size.

Are you aware of any electrical inspectors who are checking these grounds as part of their normal inspection process?
Around here they all are checking.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
250.52(B) or 250.104(B) I know the 2005 NEC handbbok had a nice little explanation box on this.

1113918513_2.jpg

Last edited:

electricmanscott

That graphic does not really have anything to do with the question.

Look up some manufacturers of CSST and read their bonding requirements.

This isn't really an NEC issue, it's a plumbing code issue.

cpal

That graphic does not really have anything to do with the question.

Look up some manufacturers of CSST and read their bonding requirements.

This isn't really an NEC issue, it's a plumbing code issue.

once again Scott ou are dead on and that diagram hopefully will not encourage someone to miss apply a non rule and ground the csst ahead of the gas meter, They install a dielectric coupling for a reason.

They have recently changed the US standard UL 467 (I think) to allow a pipe clam to be installed in the compression nut of the csst. it must be marked "BF" with the trade size.

mcclary's electrical

but it doesent help if you catch it before the meter!!!!:confused:

Around here, even if you caught i tbefore the meter,(which I do not) it wouldn't matter because it is again (after the meter) isolated from the gas company's piping due to cathodic protection,,,,which is the gas company's main concern.

cpal

now I'm really confused. I think it is important to be clear that the NEC does not encourage a connection as illustrated in the graphic. the insulating fitting is at the meter (in my area) we have HP 90 psi on the street side I think you and I might be on the same page. but the graphic could be bad JuJu!!!!.

mcclary's electrical

now I'm really confused. I think it is important to be clear that the NEC does not encourage a connection as illustrated in the graphic. the insulating fitting is at the meter (in my area) we have HP 90 psi on the street side I think you and I might be on the same page. but the graphic could be bad JuJu!!!!.

The graphic's not bad,,,you are correct, and I never connect there, I was just saying that around here, it's isolated again at the street, in case someone attaches a wire as shown in the diagram. The do not want it affecting their cathodic protection

cpal

The graphic's not bad,,,you are correct, and I never connect there, I was just saying that around here, it's isolated again at the street, in case someone attaches a wire as shown in the diagram. The do not want it affecting their cathodic protection

thanks for the claification.
know back to the csst
The mfg is putting the pressure on the plumbers / gas fitters to ground the stuff
it is not a NEC requirment and the Electrical Insp (in my area ) can not require it.

We will inspect it, if an EC give notice.
When it is grounded it must be done IAW the csst mfg.

c2500

For what it is worth, Piedmont Natural Gas, in Greenville, SC, as per the suggestion of the CSST manufacturers bonding requirement, will not hook up gas service if the bond does not take place at the gas meter. I was talking with one of the mechanical inspectors today, and he said that is where they want it.

Since it is a utility, they can require what they want. I am also aware that you that some gas technicians are picky about it and others will let traditional bonding methos suffice. Sure it is another trades issue, but when it is said and done, do you want the plumber/mechanical guy playing in your panel?

I passed an electrical rough-in earlier this week, then the mechanical guys showed up and ran some CSST. I then went to the supply house and bought the 75 feet of #6 bond wire and stuck it in the panel today. I also let the bulder know he owes me because that was not part of the original deal. Its a remodel with the actual HO footing all the bills so I know I willl get paid.

c2500

Last edited:

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Sorry to have caused confusion. Haven't had to tangle with the stuff as of yet...Maybe a moderator could take down my post? I posted and left yesterday...only so much edit time.

jwjrw

Sorry to have caused confusion. Haven't had to tangle with the stuff as of yet...Maybe a moderator could take down my post? I posted and left yesterday...only so much edit time.

Here in Meck County,NC we have to get a rough inspection on the csst bond if it is going to be concealed.If not concealed we can have it looked at on the final inspection. We bond it at the csst and take it to the service. Luckily our gas guys are using copper now so we don't have to worry about it.

shepelec

thanks for the claification.
know back to the csst
The mfg is putting the pressure on the plumbers / gas fitters to ground the stuff
it is not a NEC requirment and the Electrical Insp (in my area ) can not require it.

We will inspect it, if an EC give notice.
When it is grounded it must be done IAW the csst mfg.

Actually the state sent all MA insps notification on this and it is considered to be a MA amendment to the MEC. ( MA elec code)

Kinda silly though how part the gas code must be approved by an electrical insp before it can be approved by a gas insp.:roll:

Last edited:

electricmanscott

Here in Meck County,NC we have to get a rough inspection on the csst bond if it is going to be concealed.If not concealed we can have it looked at on the final inspection. We bond it at the csst and take it to the service. Luckily our gas guys are using copper now so we don't have to worry about it.

Doesn't the bonding connection have to be accessible anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.