3 phase branck circuits must have seperate neutrals??

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
First, how can you tell which pole tripped? (other than Sq D with the Visi-Trip(r) indicators.)

You really do live a sheltered life don't you? I can walk up to most any manufacturers panel and show you tripped breakers with out any red indicators. :roll:

Roger

If this is in patient care areas there's a problem, see 517.13 (A)&(B)

Roger

I'll have to find out how its classified... technically its the doctors offices...but patients are diagnosed & treatment is done, however, no overnight care. So I guess it very well could be a Patient Care Area.

480sparky

............First, how can you tell which pole tripped? (other than Sq D with the Visi-Trip(r) indicators.)............

They're usually in the tripped position. Sq D QOs only make it easier to see it with their orange visi-whatchmacallits. But every other brand breaker I've seen has a tripped position that you can see as well.

Volta

They're usually in the tripped position. Sq D QOs only make it easier to see it with their orange visi-whatchmacallits. But every other brand breaker I've seen has a tripped position that you can see as well.

Sure, for one alone. But the handle won't be in the midway position when tied to the other two.

Karl H

Nobody's asked me what a 3 phase branck circuit is yet, though :grin:

Oh we have been thinking about it though! :grin: I was afraid a Branck
circuit was some new fangled computer generated electrical thing us
old guys could never comprehend. That was installed by kids with there
pants hanging from there knees! Just not something us old guys want to bring
to light. :grin:

dbuckley

If you've been trained how to make a good splice and can perform it well you will be fine. I have installed thousands of MWBC and never had a failure. It's when you have to work with other peoples MWBC's that can't make a proper splice. That's when I've ran into problems.
Thats the good and the bad about MWBC.

The absolute critical thing is that the neutral conductor integrity must be maintained for the full run of the MWBC, whilst work is carried out along the MWBC, and many otherwise sound installation practices do not provide that level of integrity. Hence the need for simultaneous disconnect on all hots of a MWBC, to stop stuff blowing up due to dropped neutral.

Of course, if the MWBC neutral was cad welded, this issue would never have arisen :)

mxslick

You really do live a sheltered life don't you? I can walk up to most any manufacturers panel and show you tripped breakers with out any red indicators. :roll:

Roger

Sure, for one alone. But the handle won't be in the midway position when tied to the other two.

Thank you Volta. Now would the others care to respond to that simple fact?:roll::grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.