MC Under Mobile Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to use MC cable for the feeder to a mobile home. Is the space underneath a mobile home considered "under a building" per Table 300.5? Do I have to install the MC in conduit or can I just direct bury it?

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

Is the MC cable you are using listed for direct burial?

Check out 330.12(2) (2008 NEC)

Chris

raider1

Staff member
I feel that 300.5(C) would require that you have the MC cable installed in a raceway where it is under the mobile home.

Chris

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I feel that 300.5(C) would require that you have the MC cable installed in a raceway where it is under the mobile home.

Chris

Chris..........Wouldn't 330.10 (4) allow the MC under the mobile home to be exposed? I'm envisioning the DB MC emerging from the ground and running on the surface of the underside of the mobile home and then up into the loadcenter.

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
Chris..........Wouldn't 330.10 (4) allow the MC under the mobile home to be exposed? I'm envisioning the DB MC emerging from the ground and running on the surface of the underside of the mobile home and then up into the loadcenter.

Yes, MC cable could be installed exposed in the crawlspace under the mobile home.

My point is that if you choose to bury the cable in accordance with 330.10(B)(2) you must comply with 300.5(C) which would require a cable buried under a building to be installed in a raceway.

Chris

pete m.

The equipment grounding conductor of your MC Cable may have to be insulated.

550.33 Feeder.
(A) Feeder Conductors. Feeder conductors shall comply with the following:
(1) Feeder conductors shall consist of either a listed cord, factory installed in accordance with 550.10(B), or a permanently installed feeder consisting of four insulated, color-coded conductors that shall be identified by the factory or field marking of the conductors in compliance with 310.12. Equipment grounding conductors shall not be identified by stripping the insulation.

Pete

raider1

Staff member
Why cant MC Cable me use under a mobile home. I dont think op is stating it is under the ground

Actually the OPer was asking about direct burying the MC cable.

I want to use MC cable for the feeder to a mobile home. Is the space underneath a mobile home considered "under a building" per Table 300.5? Do I have to install the MC in conduit or can I just direct bury it?

Chris

firemandave

firemandave

I appreciate all the help you guys have been giving me. I wanted to use MC because it seems to be more cost effective, considering installation time. The MC I was planning to use is PVC coated. However, the equipment grounding conductor was bare. After reader article 550, I agree that it must be insulated. I considered laying the cable on the ground surface but didn't think that would meet the securing requirments of 330.30 (B), unless it was somehow fastened to the ground. Maybe placing the cable on the ground surface under the trailer would qualify as fishing the cable in a concealed space?

stew

i have seen installs where they use a hoop style wire installed pushed into the earth over the conduit and they have okayed it like a croquet hoop sorta. also a block of treated 2x4 with conduit strapped to it laying on the vapor barrier i have also seen okayed

Status
Not open for further replies.