An Idea to land work

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradleyelectric

I've changed out old fuse panels for the elderly re-using perfectly good 100a circuit breaker panels for free.

"Miss Nanna" was on oxygen an on death's door when the A/C she required and her pressurized bed and just plain old age burned out her 4-circuit fuse panel. (Boiler, Kitchen, Garage, Rest of house.) She didnt have a dime and was ready to pull her own plug. Her kids (one in a Range Rover and another with a BMW) couldn't help they're "stretched too thin..."

Miss Nanna hung in there for 2 more years but left me her Roseville collection which I had mentioned my mother collected (though by the time she passed, my mother had passed also) and her Hummell nativity. Her kids were PISSED.

Business is business but there are other aspects of life that are more important than profit.

then again, your not in business.

WinZip

I only posted this thread so those that are not doing well would possibly get a job if the home owner had a look on his face that he can't afford it all at once, an believe me there are plenty that can't then there are those that can afford it.

With that said, if your one of those that doesn't have deep pockets like some in here do then give it a try , a simple down payment an additional payments is better than sitting at home.

Just my two cents worth!

satcom

then again, your not in business.

That is what it really comes down to, in many towns across the country, they have funds dedicated to helping the elderly with needed repairs, and that along with the many people that dedicate their time helping their neighbors, business is usually better able to help with funds to support these groups.

yucan2

I only posted this thread so those that are not doing well would possibly get a job if the home owner had a look on his face that he can't afford it all at once, an believe me there are plenty that can't then there are those that can afford it.

With that said, if your one of those that doesn't have deep pockets like some in here do then give it a try , a simple down payment an additional payments is better than sitting at home.

Just my two cents worth!

Winzip I see where you're coming from and agree somewhat. However, the unfortunate reality is that usually those EC's most in need of this type of selective financing arrangement with their customers to generate income are usually those least able to afford to do it, as they are already hurting.

I have done these types of arrangements in anticipation of times like these. I only wish I had done more.

Those monthly checks can really be a blessing. On the flip side though, I have also had some deadbeats, fortunately not for very much.

In fact I think I'll give them a jingle this morning.:grin:

Keep thinking the good thoughts.

WinZip

Winzip I see where you're coming from and agree somewhat. However, the unfortunate reality is that usually those EC's most in need of this type of selective financing arrangement with their customers to generate income are usually those least able to afford to do it, as they are already hurting.

I have done these types of arrangements in anticipation of times like these. I only wish I had done more.

Those monthly checks can really be a blessing. On the flip side though, I have also had some deadbeats, fortunately not for very much.

In fact I think I'll give them a jingle this morning.:grin:

Keep thinking the good thoughts.

It's like this, if it meant getting the job or possibly not getting the job what would you do.

Again only coming up with Ideas for those that are hurting an it could be a starting place to get back on there feet.

Maybe I'm out in left field on this one!!

yucan2

Not at all, I feel ya.

A year ago, $2,500.00 job. 50% deposit. I carry the balance for 12 equal payments over 12 months. Did that. Had no problem. Marked the job up just a tad to allow for interest I would have earned.

Today, deposit must cover all material and labor. I'll float the profit for 12 months once again.

6 months from now, all things being equal and nothing has changed, I'll probably walk.

WinZip

Youcan2,

I personally think you will be busy, nothing wrong with 50% down an 4-6 payments on balance and what if they let there friends know $$$$$$$$

satcom

Not at all, I feel ya.

A year ago, $2,500.00 job. 50% deposit. I carry the balance for 12 equal payments over 12 months. Did that. Had no problem. Marked the job up just a tad to allow for interest I would have earned.

Today, deposit must cover all material and labor. I'll float the profit for 12 months once again.

6 months from now, all things being equal and nothing has changed, I'll probably walk.

As soon as you said 50% will cover material and labor, and the profit you could wait for, I knew you had the wrong idea of how a business operates,
the other 50% covers our overhead and operating expenses, and may if were lucky, yeld us a small 7% profit

yucan2

As soon as you said 50% will cover material and labor, and the profit you could wait for, I knew you had the wrong idea of how a business operates,
the other 50% covers our overhead and operating expenses, and may if were lucky, yeld us a small 7% profit

Sorry that dog won't hunt.

I've been profitable for more years than most of these guys have been in the world.

There are a myriad of ways to stay profitable, listening to others suggestions is just one of em'.

If my overall margins ever decline to 7%, I'll look elsewhere to earn a living.

bradleyelectric

Sorry that dog won't hunt.

I've been profitable for more years than most of these guys have been in the world.

There are a myriad of ways to stay profitable, listening to others suggestions is just one of em'.

If my overall margins ever decline to 7%, I'll look elsewhere to earn a living.

what is your overall profit margin?

Sparky555

Get over it. It's a normal business question. My net profit last year was a meager 0.83%. I didn't draw as large a salary as normal but saved $10k for retirement. Not very big numbers for bragging rights but to the businesspeople here, these numbers are believable.

Bradleyelectric probably asked your net profit because your claims are hard to believe. Average construction numbers in a good economy are typically under 10% net.

WinZip

Ha , landed a job today , gave the lady of the home a quote an you could just tell she wanted to keep shopping price , so I said to her if you give me this job I will take 50% down an two equal payments for two months on the first of the month of the balance , she says to me if you will do that for us I won't bother to call for any more estimates.

Could have lost it from another quote , who knows.

stevenj76

Does it matter what the credit score is? If she don't pay up, he can lien the house. In Oregon when the house is liened, they have to pay or it goes to foreclosure.

satcom

moonlighters don't worry about a customers credit, most of them have full time jobs with benefits, and they have no idea what it costs to operate a business.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Does it matter what the credit score is? If she don't pay up, he can lien the house. In Oregon when the house is liened, they have to pay or it goes to foreclosure.
In Georgia a lien does very little by itself, it just preserves my right to sue for a year. I sold a house that had a lien on it, it cost me $18 for a bond. The man who filed the lein never sued me and never got paid (different story why I didn't pay him).

If he had sued me and won, it would still have been his problem to collect the judgement, another potentially difficult process.

Most of the people I've worked for that didn't have the money to pay me now didn't have it later either.

I would finance a job under the right circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.