Walk Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

Yellow page customer wants a 200 amp service upgrade.So I go out and look here where it gets weird has a 100 amp main panel in garage says "he wants to keep it and convert it to a sub install 20 space customer supply ed Murry panel to right. Its going to look awful I explain but he know better and doesn't care how it looks.I could use the work but is it worth the reputation blow to do an install like he is requesting?

walkerj

I agree with Bob.

The customer wants what he wants and gets what he wants.

How about giving him 2 prices; one for his way and one for your way.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have to agree with Bob. If it's legal and his money is green, I'd regret the job all the way to the bank.

kwired

Electron manager
What is reason for upgrade? sounds like existing 100 amp probably can handle load.

Is more load to be added? If adding major amount of load like say electric heat I may not question the install.

If down the road a generator could be installed I can possibly see the existing panel as the standby panel.

I have wired new homes that included a smaller panel fed from larger panel like this. That may look stupid to some but the owner had intended to get a standby generator at some time. I even allwowed enough space between panels that all needs done is rework the feeder and install automatic transfer switch between the panels. All the loads desired on standby power were ran to the small panel.

480sparky

If a customer has a specific request, if the only issue is 'how it looks', who am I to argue?

I've installed lights I thought were hideous. (If asked what I thought about them, my reply is "It's not in my house, so I don't have to look at it every day"). I've put POCO meters right next to the front door. I've been asked to put gray devices in a bedroom painted orange (local school colors).

As long as the request does not compromise the safety, I don't argue. Ever drive down the street and look at a house that's got a gastly paint job and think it was the painter's fault for choosing the colors?

At the end of the day, my only concern is my wallet.

WinZip

Yellow page customer wants a 200 amp service upgrade.So I go out and look here where it gets weird has a 100 amp main panel in garage says "he wants to keep it and convert it to a sub install 20 space customer supply ed Murry panel to right. Its going to look awful I explain but he know better and doesn't care how it looks.I could use the work but is it worth the reputation blow to do an install like he is requesting?

You have to ask yourself , if it's going to be crappy what else will he talk you into doing while your there that can add to the crappy mess , in the end you may wish you never saw this job.

JMO

iwire

Staff member
You have to ask yourself , if it's going to be crappy what else will he talk you into doing while your there that can add to the crappy mess ,

Yeah, God forbid he asks you to do more work and you make more money, that would be bad. :grin:

nhfire77

i understand what the Op is saying. Its a tough call that needs to be made. I just had a similar job, I was conflicted, but I got paid. That is the real issue, IMHO.

480sparky

Has anyone considered the time you thought your job looked absolutely 'front-cover-of-EC Magazine', 'take-a-picture-of-it', 'dang-that-looks-good' perfect, the the owner thought it looked like crap but didn't say anything?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Yeah, God forbid he asks you to do more work and you make more money, that would be bad. :grin:

Yea that would be really bad. You're rep wil get tarnished if you wall away from what sounds like a reasonable job!

WinZip

Maybe the best way would be T & M then do what he wants as long as it's code.
Reminds me of a customer some 4 yrs ago had all this old surplus electrical material an wanted lower price and use his surplus and I told him no I will not use it , most of it had to be 20 yrs old some new an used needless to say we were both happy when the job was done- him to be rid of us an me to be rid of him.

hardworkingstiff

As long as it meets code and makes the customer happy I fail to see a problem. :confused:
Count me agreeing with this.

As long as the request does not compromise the safety, I don't argue.

At the end of the day, my only concern is my wallet.

I pretty much agree. I do this to make money, not friends. I will be friendly and will be a friend to you unless you take advantage of it.

Don't ask to borrow the tools I make money with and don't ask me to work for you.

220/221

I'd figure out a way to talk him into a single panel. I'm good at that, I'm a people person :D

If that didn't work, I'd install it his way.

Two years ago I would have politely told him that I was the professional and we would do it my way.

Four years ago I would have laughed and drove away.

growler

I'd figure out a way to talk him into a single panel. I'm good at that, I'm a people person :D

I would at least try to find out why he wants to leave the old panel in place.

If he thinks he is going to save any money I'm sure I can talk him out of it. By the time I have to run a feeder to the sub and seperate the neutrals and grounds this is going to cost as much or more than just changing out the panel to a larger one and then there is the warranty. New panel and new breakers are covered and old crap isn't.

Being a people person would be the best option here. If all else fail then just do it his way it's not like it's going to be on display someplace.

Heck I installed a panel in a guys dinning room, I didn't think it was a good idea but it's not my house and the check cleared and the customer is actually happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.