240mm^2 and 500kcmil connector(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sespllc

I have 240mm^2 cable and 240mm^2 connectors; this combination works as designed. Another engineer wants to use 500kcmil cable and the 240mm^2 connector combination. I would rather use the corresponding cable with the connector than awg with the mm connector. It is almost a fit but not exactly. The difference is: the 240mm^2 cable has to go into conduit for a short run whereas the 500kcmil cable can lie on the ground for the short urn without conduit. Either cable is fine, but I want to make sure that the connector to cable interface is within code. Comments?

jumper

I would say it applies to any connector. It should be designed and listed for its application. Take a 1" romex connector, can I use it for a single 14/2 cable? Probably not, unless its listed for it.

Besoeker

I have 240mm^2 cable and 240mm^2 connectors; this combination works as designed. Another engineer wants to use 500kcmil cable and the 240mm^2 connector combination. I would rather use the corresponding cable with the connector than awg with the mm connector. It is almost a fit but not exactly. The difference is: the 240mm^2 cable has to go into conduit for a short run whereas the 500kcmil cable can lie on the ground for the short urn without conduit. Either cable is fine, but I want to make sure that the connector to cable interface is within code. Comments?
I don't about any code considerations but there just might be a physical problem.
The 500kcmil is slightly larger than 240mm^2. Depending on the type of cable lug you intend to use, it might be a bit difficult to get the 240mm^2 connector on to the 500kcmil conductor.
We normally use compression type terminals and these are usually a very snug fit with the correctly sized cable.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I would say it applies to any connector. It should be designed and listed for its application. Take a 1" romex connector, can I use it for a single 14/2 cable? Probably not, unless its listed for it.

Yes, 300.15 applies to any connector fitting used for the specific wiring method employed, as you have exhibited.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The application of 300.15 is limited to "300.15 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, or Fittings — Where Required." I don't see how it can be stretched to apply to a wire termination.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The application of 300.15 is limited to "300.15 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, or Fittings ? Where Required." I don't see how it can be stretched to apply to a wire termination.

I thought we were talking about a cable connector, which is a fitting, not a conductor terminal.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It is not precisely clear from the OP which is being referred to.
I thought it was quite clear, and made even clearer on the mention of running the metric cable through conduit.

Both types of connectors may be identified to accommodate a range of sizes.
Possibly... but the OP stated, "It is almost a fit but not exactly."

I fail to understand why there would even be any question as to which connector to use for which cable... at the design/engineering level.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I don't know why a cable installed in conduit would also need a connector to grip the overall cable unless a vertical tension or job spec.
Elaborating, I'm taking the OP statement of "...the 240mm^2 cable has to go into conduit for a short run..." to mean the conduit run is not over the entire run of the cable. A connector is required at the exposed cable to cable-in-conduit transition, provided the conduit termination is at and to an enclosure, JB, or such.

Last edited:

Volta

Elaborating, I'm taking the OP statement of "...the 240mm^2 cable has to go into conduit for a short run..." to mean the conduit run is not over the entire run of the cable. A connector is required at the exposed cable to cable-in-conduit transition, provided the conduit termination is at and to an enclosure, JB, or such.

But the 500 MCM was allowed to be run on the floor for a distance, and the same connector/conduit connector wouldn't be needed.

Oh, where is the OP when you need 'em? :grin:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
But the 500 MCM was allowed to be run on the floor for a distance, and the same connector/conduit connector wouldn't be needed.

Oh, where is the OP when you need 'em? :grin:
But the 500 kcmil cable would require a connector at the equipment where the metric cable's conduit terminated.

Volta

But the 500 kcmil cable would require a connector at the equipment where the metric cable's conduit terminated.

That's true, but why then was a metric connector mentioned at all? The OP may be considering a single conductor as a cable, and as a type 'W' or similar 500MCM, allowed without conduit, and still be asking about an eletrical termination connector.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That's true, but why then was a metric connector mentioned at all?
Because technically a connector would be required where the metric cable entered the conduit, if the the other end of the conduit run terminated to an enclosure, box, or such. Understand that in many situations we simply do not install connector when we transition from exposed cable to cable-in-conduit, such as when entring or leaving cable tray... but we are supposed to put connectors there.

The OP may be considering a single conductor as a cable, and as a type 'W' or similar 500MCM, allowed without conduit, and still be asking about an eletrical termination connector.
Well on that, I guess we're simply have to wait for clarification...

Status
Not open for further replies.