200 amp panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I am confused about the number of switches in panels. I have a 200 amp panel that is 20/40. Is there a panel commonly available with more spaces? I have an all electric house and the customer wants convection oven/cook top, two microwaves, dishwashers, AC, electric etc. What is the maximum spaces commonly available?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Before going over 40 you need to make sure it's acceptable in your area (the 40 limit was removed in the '08 Code).
A few of the jobs in this area have speced 54 circuit panels but I have not actually seen one yet (my understanding is that they are commonplace in Canada)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am confused about the number of switches in panels. I have a 200 amp panel that is 20/40. Is there a panel commonly available with more spaces? I have an all electric house and the customer wants convection oven/cook top, two microwaves, dishwashers, AC, electric etc. What is the maximum spaces commonly available?

Your panel will take 20 full size breakers or 40 twin style breakers. 40 circuits is very common as the max. used to be 42 circuits. Now, however, there are some manufacturers making 60 circuit panels but I have yet to see one on the market. I suspect they won't be that common a product.

mcclary's electrical

Before going over 40 you need to make sure it's acceptable in your area (the 40 limit was removed in the '08 Code).
A few of the jobs in this area have speced 54 circuit panels but I have not actually seen one yet (my understanding is that they are commonplace in Canada)

We're still on 05' here in VA. That's one thing I actually like about the 08. I can't wait to load up a 40/80 for the first time.

220/221

For the last decade, the full 40 space panel has been the standard here.

Occaisionally a residence will use every one of those spaces.

Generally there are a few spaces left.

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
On this job a two section was originally spec'ed. But with the two panels and the transformer it all didn't "fit" so the EE changed the spec to one panel. I am using mostly 12/4 coming in the top and some conduit out the bottom.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
A client of ours just had us change the design for a remodel of one of their buildings. We had planned on using 2-section panels (i.e., side-by-side 42 circuit panels with double lugs to serve the second section) in several locations. Now they want 84 circuit panels instead. The project is still in an early design stage, so I have no photos to offer yet. This change did play havoc with my panel schedule arrangement, however. :roll:

satcom

For the last 12 years we have been installing 100A 30 space loadcenters, so I can see where 200A 60 space would be ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.