New smoke-detector regulation goes into effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

Scott,

Thats how I see it any room can be used for sleeping. I have a copy of the regs but I have chicken scratch all over it from the 15 hr code review weekend retereat. If someone has clean copy of State Building code 780 CMR 5313 Life Safety Systems - Seveth Edition you will see sleeping room. I don't have definition for sleeping room but it was explained that it can be any room.

I think you are looking way to deep into this.

It says "In each bedroom (sleeping room)"

It does NOT say any room that could be used for sleeping.

My guess is that they are covering an area such as a studio apartment or the like.

I have never seen anyone require or install a smoke alarm in every room in the house nor do I think the code requires it.

I'd also add that I've taken my fair share of 15 hour code updates. Don't believe everything they tell you at those classes. No offense Charlie!.. :D

JWCELECTRIC

I think you are looking way to deep into this.

It says "In each bedroom (sleeping room)"

It does NOT say any room that could be used for sleeping.

My guess is that they are covering an area such as a studio apartment or the like.

I have never seen anyone require or install a smoke alarm in every room in the house nor do I think the code requires it.

I'd also add that I've taken my fair share of 15 hour code updates. Don't believe everything they tell you at those classes. No offense Charlie!.. :D

Maybe your not looking into it deep enough!

I don't have the seveth edition of the state building code so if someone does then they can answer what state calls a sleeping room. Why would they add (sleeping room) at the end everytime a bedroom was mentioned in regs. They think people forget what a bedroom is.

If a dwelling has a studio apartment then it is classified as multifamily.

electricmanscott

Maybe your not looking into it deep enough!

I don't have the seveth edition of the state building code so if someone does then they can answer what state calls a sleeping room. Why would they add (sleeping room) at the end everytime a bedroom was mentioned in regs. They think people forget what a bedroom is.

If a dwelling has a studio apartment then it is classified as multifamily.

So you put smokes in EVERY room in a house? :confused:

I don't get what your last sentence means and how it has anything to do with this.

iwire

Staff member
In my younger days I may have slept on the bathroom floor once or twice, do I now need to install smoke alarms in there?

If my wife gets mad at me I might have to sleep in the garage .... smoke in there as well?

JWCELECTRIC

So you put smokes in EVERY room in a house? :confused:

I don't get what your last sentence means and how it has anything to do with this.

Only if I have to put smokes in every room, I would need to find out first. Because if I bid the project up to 12 smokes and it covers the areas other than the sleeping rooms. Then Mr local AHJ comes in and says I need to add more because he see sleeping rooms. Now I am over 12 smokes and then I have to get a fire alarm system on my dime. That would make anyone's day.

You mentioned in earlier post sleeping rooms would be a studio apartment. I don't see it as a sleeping room, but the state may classify it as being mutil- family.

electricmanscott

Only if I have to put smokes in every room, I would need to find out first. Because if I bid the project up to 12 smokes and it covers the areas other than the sleeping rooms. Then Mr local AHJ comes in and says I need to add more because he see sleeping rooms. Now I am over 12 smokes and then I have to get a fire alarm system on my dime. That would make anyone's day.

You mentioned in earlier post sleeping rooms would be a studio apartment. I don't see it as a sleeping room, but the state may classify it as being mutil- family.

By your own logic you would have no choice but to put smokes in every room in a house.

I still don't know what a multifamily dwelling has to do with anything. :confused:

I don't know why I am arguing about this. As far as I'm concerned I am right. :D

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician

He was talking about a separate studio apartment, he wasn't talking about adding a studio apartment to a dwelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.