• Yes - I would nto do that without the customers knowledge up front

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • No - Anything to save me a few bucks

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

zog

Stemming off the other thread, let's see what everyone considers "unprofessional"

The question is not is this practice legal or allowed per code, not is not the debate. The question here is ethics, or professionalism.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Depends on how many splices, you need to add some poll options for an accurate consensus.

Roger

mcclary's electrical

Well gosh,,, you could have put a few in betweens in there,,,,but since you didn't I'm gonna assume wire sizes, and details to stem from other thread. So I stand by my earlier statement

electricmanscott

Yes and no but also maybe.

My answer is intentionally vague. It fits the poll perfectly.

If you are going to have a poll I would suggest at the least have it make reasonable sense and don't use ridiculous phrasing to try to spin it your way.

Was this done by the DNC? :roll:

Last edited:

wireguru

well, now i have something new to add to job specs:

"all wire and cable shall be installed from the manufacturer's original spool or packaging. no remnants, scraps, or previously cut sections shall be allowed unless explicitly authorized in writing. no splices or junction boxes shall be installed where the sole purpose of the aforementioned splices or junction boxes are to allow use of two or more sections of wire or cable where one single section of wire or cabe could have been installed"

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Agreed, let say your scrap pieces average 20 feet in length.

In this case the pieces would probably be sold for the metal value at the salvage yard.

Roger

cschmid

this is not predetermination of an out come of a pole; it is the discussion of whether it is professional looking to splice cables in the effort to save wire costs. I believe it is unprofessional because most scrap wire is not stored in a very respectful manor to the care of the wires integrity. thous leading to a damaged looking cable whether it is so or not can not be determined by this discussion.

zog

In this case the pieces would probably be sold for the metal value at the salvage yard.

Roger

Well the OP that started this whole discussion sure makes it sound like they are short scraps. How long of a run can there be to an oven in a home? Can't be too far, and the OP was asking about how many splices he could use so we are obviously talking about more than one splice to that oven.

we normally run 1 continuous 8/3 romex to our new home ovens...we have so much scrap (in varying lengths) i was thinking of making some spliced runs.....are there restrictions in the number of splices we can make??...

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Well the OP that started this whole discussion sure makes it sound like they are short scraps. How long of a run can there be to an oven in a home? Can't be too far, and the OP was asking about how many splices he could use so we are obviously talking about more than one splice to that oven.

So, let me get this straight, your objection is to the number of splices not the scrap wire? Why didn't you say so in the beginning instead of insinuating the use of new left over scrap wire is sub standard wiring and some how cheating the customer?:roll:

Roger

ceknight

Stemming off the other thread, let's see what everyone considers "unprofessional"...

"Professional" is taking those scraps, making that bunch of splices, and making it look like it's supposed to be that way. :)

Time is money, and if it came down to splicing together the home run to an oven to save a few bucks or pulling new id go with new all day long. Ive got tons of scrap laying around, but that does not mean I wanna take all my #6 and splice it together and go do a job! With the material it would take to splice a home run a few times(boxs, ground crimps,splice bolts,tape, etc) it would probably be cheaper to use new, givin it was a fairly short run.

Did the OP mean NEW wire scrap or used(gutted from a job)?

zog

So, let me get this straight, your objection is to the number of splices not the scrap wire? Why didn't you say so in the beginning instead of insinuating the use of new left over scrap wire is sub standard wiring and some how cheating the customer?:roll:

Roger

No, you said
Depends on how many splices, you need to add some poll options for an accurate consensus.

Roger

I agreed and added a comment to assume the scrap peices average 20 feet, which I think is fairly accurate based on the OP I quoted.

The more splices (Hence smaller scrap peices) the less professional the job becomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.