Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Where is Larry, he know's.
"Here I come to save the daaaaayyyyy!" :grin:

Picture a typical 3ph breaker, which would pick up each phase by the stab clips. Now, because your panel only has two buses, the third breaker body has no clip, but just has an empty stab slop.

Now, to get the third phase into the third breaker body, a fourth body is added (which may have a mechanism in it, or may just be a 'jumper') which provides a terminal for the third phase to get in.

A and B phases are obtained as usual, through the MB or ML's and the panel buses and stabs, and the high leg is obtained by being routed from the 3ph meter directly to the fourth breaker body.

So, you see how easy it would be to add a high leg to an existing 1ph service. You'd only have to replace the meter guts and add a wire from the POA to the meter, and meter to Delta breaker.

You could theoretically build a Delta breaker by combining a regular 2p breaker with a 2p breaker with the clips removed and internally jumpered together. You wouldn't have the internal trip, tho.

Added: Good luck finding a 4p handle tie, too.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
From ECN

delta6.jpg

delta3.jpg

delta7.jpg

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That's the one! Looks like they made it from my description.

I like the "different" written on the box. I'll bet it was.

(Please substitute "slot" for "slop" in my previous post. :cool:)

jumper

"Here I come to save the daaaaayyyyy!" :grin:

Picture a typical 3ph breaker, which would pick up each phase by the stab clips. Now, because your panel only has two buses, the third breaker body has no clip, but just has an empty stab slop.

Now, to get the third phase into the third breaker body, a fourth body is added (which may have a mechanism in it, or may just be a 'jumper') which provides a terminal for the third phase to get in.

A and B phases are obtained as usual, through the MB or ML's and the panel buses and stabs, and the high leg is obtained by being routed from the 3ph meter directly to the fourth breaker body.

So, you see how easy it would be to add a high leg to an existing 1ph service. You'd only have to replace the meter guts and add a wire from the POA to the meter, and meter to Delta breaker.

You could theoretically build a Delta breaker by combining a regular 2p breaker with a 2p breaker with the clips removed and internally jumpered together. You wouldn't have the internal trip, tho.

Added: Good luck finding a 4p handle tie, too.

Book marked for future study. Thanks Larry. :)

Npstewart

Anyone know how I calculate the load on this breaker, if I have say a 5KW load, is that translating to 13.8 amps. Thanks

Npstewart

No, no delta service. Its a "delta breaker". The service to this site is 208-3 phase. They only brought 208-1 phase to our space though, which is why my service is 208.

I have a "delta breaker", which is used when you have a three phase load but only a single phase service, its illegal to use this now. By the way, I never heard of a delta breaker until yesterday on this forum.

Nick

Phaedra

Banned
3 phase breaker in single phase panel

I am not sure if it makes sense or not....

There is a system using 208V/3 phase. if we use single phase instead 3 phase, do we need two single phase or three single phase?

I think...

first, two single phase with ground total voltage will be 240V line1 and line 2

second, when I check 208V/3phase any line voltage with neutral is 120V

which one is right? and is it working when 208V/3phase system is connected to single phase?

Thank you.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I zoomed in on all your pictures.

I agree you have a single phase panel there. The panel diagram shows that.

The breaker is a delta breaker. The stinger goes in on the top lug and out on the one below it. The sticker on the breaker shows that.

Deltabreakerdiagram.png

5kW 5000W ? 360 (208 * 1.732 for 3 phase) = 13.89

I believe the one-line diagram from yesteryear said that it was fed with #10. That should be adequate barring distance problems.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No, no delta service. Its a "delta breaker". The service to this site is 208-3 phase. They only brought 208-1 phase to our space though, which is why my service is 208.
If you have a third phase for even one piece of equipment, then you have 3 phase. You just have less capacity on one conductor.

The main disco in your other thread is definitely set up as a high-leg Delta, as is this panel with only two buses and the Delta breaker.

If you're correct about the 208v, and 120v from all three lines to the neutral, then your original Delta transformer bank was replaced.

If so, you could leave everything as it is, or replace the third-phase conductor and fuse, and install a 3ph panel to increase capacity.

If you can find the transformers supplying this building, you can tell in an instant what their service is. Take a pic if you're not sure.

Last edited:

jumper

If you have a third phase for even one piece of equipment, then you have 3 phase. You just have less capacity on one conductor.

The main disco in your other thread is definitely set up as a high-leg Delta, as is this panel with only two buses and the Delta breaker.

If you're correct about the 208v, and 120v from all three lines to the neutral, then your original Delta transformer bank was replaced.

If so, you could leave everything as it is, or replace the third-phase conductor and fuse, and install a 3ph panel to increase capacity.

If you can find the transformers supplying this building, you can tell in an instant what their service is. Take a pic if you're not sure.

You see why I was confused when he said 208v.

If the transformer bank was changed to a wye, wouldn't the transformers be all the same size? I know that a delta can have a larger "lighter" , but a wye?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If the transformer bank was changed to a wye, wouldn't the transformers be all the same size?
They always have been the same in my experience.

A quick glance at them will tell an experienced eye.

How do I make all my lines the exact same length?

:D

cpinetree

Picture of disconect feeding this panel

Picture of disconect feeding this panel

see attached for picture of the disconnect feeding the panel that this "Delta" breaker is in.

FMMG_2.jpg

Also this is a 3 phase high leg service at this location not 208v.

Status
Not open for further replies.