Customer shocked when touching shower water controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwnagy

We had a call this week, with a customer who said they were being shocked when they touched the water controls for the shower. They also said this started about 3-4 months ago(!), apparently a few after another electrician had been out to make a repair in the bathroom.

The electrician who took the call reported to me that his his tick-tracer would sound-off around the tub enclosure, water pipes, and drain.

He found the following items:

1 - 1960's era split-buss panel - 100 amp, wiring in the home circa-1935.
2 - Ground and neutral not bonded to each other in panel
3 - No ground rods
4 - Grounding electgrode conductor run to the water main where it entered the home, but only on the upstream side of the cut-off valve.
5 - On the drain, he found a plastic section inserted as a repair between two galavanized sections of 2" drain.

The first thing we did was try and isolate the circuit feeding the problem. We could only get the problem to clear by shutting down 4 circuits. Shutting of the breaker that controlled the bottom half of the panel would also clear the problem.

A call was placed to the power company, for them to check thier connections outside and on the pole, to eliminate the possibility that this was originating from outside the home.
Meanwhile, the panel was properly grounded (until the homeowner can afford a heavy-up), ground rods driven, and the main water valve now grounded on both sides.

Doing this, we were able to now isolate the problem to one circuit...the circuit that feeds the bathroom lighting. Opening the fixture on the bathroom cieling revealed that the wire feeding the cieling outlet is BX, and that the BX does not terminate in a connector. The hot and neutral wires just come into the box...no connector. It has me wondering, and worried, how much of the rest of the home wiring is like this. This is where we stopped yesterday.

Power company checked connections in meter socket and on pole and said everything is ok.

At this point I think someone found a bad neutral wire and used the ground somewhere in the circuit to get everything hot again.

We will continue to look. Any thoughts from anyone out there who's had a similar call?

Jeff Nagy
Master Electrician - Maryland

Last edited:

mcclary's electrical

We had a call this week, with a customer who said they were being shocked when they touched the water controls for the shower. They also said this started about 3-4 months ago(!), apparently a few after another electrician had been out to make a repair in the bathroom.

The electrician who took the call reported to me that his his tick-tracer would sound-off around the tub enclosure, water pipes, and drain.

He found the following items:

1 - 1960's era split-buss panel - 100 amp, wiring in the home circa-1935.
2 - Ground and neutral not bonded to each other in panel
3 - No ground rods
4 - Grounding electgrode conductor run to the water main where it entered the home, but only on the upstream side of the cut-off valve.
5 - On the drain, he found a plastic section inserted as a repair between two galavanized sections of 2" drain.

The first thing we did was try and isolate the circuit feeding the problem. We could only get the problem to clear by shutting down 4 circuits. Shutting of the breaker that controlled the bottom half of the panel would also clear the problem.

A call was placed to the power company, for them to check thier connections outside and on the pole, to eliminate the possibility that this was originating from outside the home.
Meanwhile, the panel was properly grounded (until the homeowner can afford a heavy-up), ground rods driven, and the main water valve now grounded on both sides.

Doing this, we were able to now isolate the problem to one circuit...the circuit that feeds the bathroom lighting. Opening the fixture on the bathroom cieling revealed that the wire feeding the cieling outlet is BX, and that the BX does not terminate in a connector. The hot and neutral wires just come into the box...no connector. It has me wondering, and worried, how much of the rest of the home wiring is like this. This is where we stopped yesterday.

Power company checked connections in meter socket and on pole and said everything is ok.

At this point I think someone found a bad neutral wire and used the ground somewhere in the circuit to get everything hot again.

We will continue to look. Any thoughts from anyone out there who's had a similar call?

Jeff Nagy
Master Electrician - Maryland

I've seen a few of these, I agree that is most likely what you'll find. I've seen metal lathe energized from a screw through a wire. You're on the right track

electricmanscott

There are so many things that could cause this problem you just have to keep looking.

I had an energized drain situation once. There was an old two wire receptacle that somebody decided to "upgrade". They ran a piece of #14 thhn from the receptacle to a cast iron vent stack. It was tek screwed into the pipe. The receptacle was shorted against the metal box which juiced up the vent pipe.

It took a while to find the problem. The receptacle was buried in a kitchen cabinet. The connection to the vent pipe was up in an attic buried in assorted attic junk.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've seen water pipe used as a broken grounded conductor patch. Nothing surprises me anymore.

"I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused."

hardworkingstiff

There are so many things that could cause this problem you just have to keep looking.

I had an energized drain situation once. There was an old two wire receptacle that somebody decided to "upgrade". They ran a piece of #14 thhn from the receptacle to a cast iron vent stack. It was tek screwed into the pipe. The receptacle was shorted against the metal box which juiced up the vent pipe.

It took a while to find the problem. The receptacle was buried in a kitchen cabinet. The connection to the vent pipe was up in an attic buried in assorted attic junk.

I've seen water pipe used as a broken grounded conductor patch. Nothing surprises me anymore.

"I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused."

Lou just shakes his head and thinks amazing.

It really is a miracle more people don't kill themselves by accident.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
On a new house we wired a guy was getting shock, the gold flocked wall paper was touching the load side of the light switch. When we were checking it, day time ,no voltage then my master turned on the switch while I was touching the slider frame and cold; found it .
All the wall paper was hot!

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Haha yes I was 19 at the time and his father (master too) had me touch a test rig they used for lighting that same week that hurt. I do think my brother in-law was an accident. The old man on the other hand was intent, the %&**#sob.
Nothing like learning under 2 masters.

shepelec

Once had a mobile home where the frame and siding were hot. I guess the owner decided he would rather have the socket attached the the trailer instead of replacing the rotted back board. Of course the old cloth covered SE cable did not help much with all of the water getting into the socket.

I am still amazed that non-licensed people are allowed to do electrical work.:roll:

jdoggg

hot water heater

hot water heater

I am having trouble finding where it said that a 240 hot water heater should not be hooked up using a cord and receptical or did I dream that.

megloff11x

You gotta love old homes. Sometimes the only things worse are the ones owned and self-wired by card carrying electricians (see also cars owned by car mechanics...).

Status
Not open for further replies.