Fan Power Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Customer has a single phase, 120 volt, FPB with a MCA of 20.7 amps, Max OCPD 25 amps. Wants to use a 20 amp snap switch for the disconnect on a 25 amp circuit. Sound good? I said yes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Customer has a single phase, 120 volt, FPB with a MCA of 20.7 amps, Max OCPD 25 amps. Wants to use a 20 amp snap switch for the disconnect on a 25 amp circuit. Sound good? I said yes.

I would have said yes only if the decimal was less than .5 using 220.5(B)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For what reason? My thought was that the disco needs to 115% of the running current not the MCA.

wireguru

whats the HP rating of the motor, and of the switch? I have noticed most of the 30 amp switches carry the same HP rating of a 20 amp switch. There is also a 40 amp motor switch Leviton makes which may be more suitable for the application.

RUWired

Would article 430.109.C apply to your installation?

(C) Stationary Motors of 2 Horsepower or Less. For stationary motors rated at 2 hp or less and 300 volts or less, the disconnecting means shall be permitted to be one of the devices specified in (1), (2), or (3):
(1) A general-use switch having an ampere rating not less than twice the full-load current rating of the motor
(2) On ac circuits, a general-use snap switch suitable only for use on ac (not general-use ac?dc snap switches) where the motor full-load current rating is not more than 80 percent of the ampere rating of the switch
(3) A listed manual motor controller having a horsepower rating not less than the rating of the motor and marked ?Suitable as Motor Disconnect?

Rick

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sorry, I proposed the question without all of the info. :roll:

I believe that a majority of the load is actually an electric heating coil so the fan might be a very small portion of the load. I'll check tomorrow to see what else the nameplate has to say.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I looked again today and I was mistaken this is actually a VAV box with an electric heating coil. The unit contains no fan.

RUWired

I looked again today and I was mistaken this is actually a VAV box with an electric heating coil. The unit contains no fan.

So that would mean that the switch needs to be rated at 125% of the full load. Also provisions of adding a lock for LOTO.(424.19)

Rick

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So that would mean that the switch needs to be rated at 125% of the full load. Also provisions of adding a lock for LOTO.(424.19)

Rick

Interesting. The 125% rule was added in the 2008 NEC. Since this job is under the 2005 so it would not apply. Also I believe the locking provision is only if the the disconnect is not "within sight" of the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.