Is this safe enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
While installing an exterior receptacle today I realized it was arc fault protected, ground fault protected, tamper resistant and weather resistant.

Any advice on how I could make this installation safer?

ceb58

While installing an exterior receptacle today I realized it was arc fault protected, ground fault protected, tamper resistant and weather resistant.

Don't send power to it. But you did forget the in-use cover.

growler

I don't know, did you put a bollard in front of it just in case the homeowner comes home drunk and wants to drive around the yard?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician

Maybe install an arc flash sticker above it?:cool:

kwired

Electron manager
Install a redundant ground like required in health care facilities, maybe isolation transformer also.

oh yeah, don't forget to drive a ground rod near the receptacle and connect it to the receptacle.

CopperTone

enclose a room around it and be sure to have enough working space clearance in front of the receptacle and have the required egress with crash bars on the doors

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I think the in-use covers almost detract from the safety since they get knocked off (broken) so often.

Going a little off topic:grin:, But I use these on the higher end houses, not very expensive either. For some reason though the supply house will not stock them. I always have to order a case of them at a time.http://www.aifittings.com/whnew73.htm

wireguru

your installation is quite unsafe. The receptacle should be supplied with MI cable, fed from a shunt trip breaker. The in use cover needs a cover interlock switch, so the shunt trip breaker is tripped when the in use cover is opened. The control wiring for the shunt trip circuit should have a 2hr rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.