Job I lost. Tuesday's Photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

satcom

Take a look at the photo again. Do I see 2-reds, a neutral and a ground going out of the back of the panel through what looks like a "tin snipped" square hole? :-?

Looks like the whole bottom area is cut open for circuits to leave the box, the guy that did the job should win the Hack of the year award, and a second award for Super Dummy.

tkb

I would give him a quote for double of the original quote or walk.

This is the owners problem for being a cheap SOB.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I would give him a quote for double of the original quote or walk.

This is the owners problem for being a cheap SOB.

It is funny. Because the A/C contractor they hired is one the MOST expensive in town.

growler

So, I find out the "electrician" that did this job was one of the A/C installers who were on the job the first time I came out to look at it.

No license, no permit, no brains!

It is funny. Because the A/C contractor they hired is one the MOST expensive in town.

So the guy that did this is working for a legitimate outfit. That's probably why the homeowner trusted him with the offer of a good price. Then the guy does this as side work.

I would let the owner know that he should complain to the A/C company and see if they won't get his money refunded. They are not going to refund any money but they may fire the guy that did this work.

wptski

Incorrectamoondo. Customers are always looking for the lowest price. They never look for the best price.
You could very well be a "customer" trying to hire somebody on a non-electrical job. Would you be looking to pay the highest for the job?

Does the lowest price always mean the worst result? Does the highest price always mean the best results?

480sparky

...............Does the lowest price always mean the worst result? Does the highest price always mean the best results?

Neither. It means the customer only understands one thing: Price.

Quality, honesty, timeliness, customer service, permits & insurance, efficiency, warranty work........... they usually could care less about.

wptski

Quality, honesty, timeliness, customer service, permits & insurance, efficiency, warranty work........... they usually could care less about.
You skipped the one question. You'd be looking to pay the highest price?

I read in other forums where they say hire a good contractor but just how do you do that? A license means diddly squat!!

Quality, honesty, timeliness and customer service are all something that you find out about "after" the work is performed.

480sparky

You skipped the one question. You'd be looking to pay the highest price?

I read in other forums where they say hire a good contractor but just how do you do that? A license means diddly squat!!

Quality, honesty, timeliness and customer service are all something that you find out about "after" the work is performed.

You just reiterated everything I said.

zog

I say I have 3 options, fast, good, cheap. Pick 2.

wptski

I'd be lying if I said I understand any of that.:cool:
Lets see if I can break this down for you to understand.

Just using one point that you mentioned above, Customer Service. How does one know if the Customer Service is going to be good before hiring a contractor for anything?

480sparky

Lets see if I can break this down for you to understand.

Just using one point that you mentioned above, Customer Service. How does one know if the Customer Service is going to be good before hiring a contractor for anything?

Are phone calls returned promptly? Are questions answered straightforward, and in an manner that's understandable? Do you even feel like there is a commitment to customer service even in the bid/quote stage?

Ask around.... ask coworkers, neighbors, friends, etc. about their experience with the company. Ask for references, and actually follow through with contacting previous customers. Contact the BBB & Angies List.

Does the company even appear to act professional? Are the employees you are dealing with acting professional?

It's hard to quantify emotions and gut feelings, but you get the idea.

satcom

Dah? What do you know before the work is performed?? Or what do go by before the work is performed?

No one can predict the future performance of a contractor, I believe what 480 was pointing out was, if a company has a good customer service track record, they may be a the better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.