When is a splice allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunalilo

Actually these two question is specifically about residential ranges, dryer, heater (dedicated lines).

1) How many ranges are allowed in one residence.

2) I was taught that you are to have an "unbroken"(no splices) line from the breaker to the dedicated appliance, is this true?

iwire

Staff member
Actually these two question is specifically about residential ranges, dryer, heater (dedicated lines).

1) How many ranges are allowed in one residence.

As many as the customer can afford.

2) I was taught that you are to have an "unbroken"(no splices) line from the breaker to the dedicated appliance, is this true?

No, the NEC allows as many splices as you want.

K2500

Who taught you this? Seems like a strange requirement.:-?

I have never wired a house, so things might be different, but I tend to teach what I consider best practice as well. But generally add that its not a code requirement, its my requirement(subject to practicality). Some guys tend to leave that last part out.

jumper

I have never wired a house, so things might be different, but I tend to teach what I consider best practice as well. But generally add that its not a code requirement, its my requirement(subject to practicality). Some guys tend to leave that last part out.

If I work for you, I will do as you say; but splices are legal and if I can save money and do it in a safe and reasonable manner, I will splice.

resistance

Who taught you this? Seems like a strange requirement.:-?

The OP will do well if he or she keeps doing what he/she is doing. Which is checking the facts.

Lunalilo,

you will get a ton of mis-information in the field, so keep doing what you are doing--checking the facts. To be honest, most the same people telling you this really believe it!! ;):D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
POCO spec. Tree branch hit SE cable and meter base on a residence, my neighbor, and damaged both.

EC tried to splice 3 ft above meter base and install new meter base. I knew it would not fly with Dominion and it did not. IIRC inspector said it could be legal, but he knew Dominion would not hook up.

You are talking of the riser. You said service entrance conductors and I was wondering about that. Poco certainly has no say in that I wouldn't think.

BTW, I consider SE conductors to start where the riser wires or the service lateral wires end. Maybe I am wrong on that. Anyway I understand now.

K2500

If I work for you, I will do as you say; but splices are legal and if I can save money and do it in a safe and reasonable manner, I will splice.

As it should be, but I do not find it a strange for his teacher to require things that are in excess or beyond of NEC requirements. I do find it deceptive and pehaps unethical for an electrician to present,ether willfully or ignorantly; personal habits, practices, and hearsay as code requirements to those who would know no different.
It probably wouldn't bother me so much if there wasn't so much of it going around.

K2500

The OP will do well if he or she keeps doing what he/she is doing. Which is checking the facts.

Lunalilo,

you will get a ton of mis-information in the field, so keep doing what you are doing--checking the facts. To be honest, most the same people telling you this really believe it!! ;):D

Well said.

lunalilo

sorry, i feel bad to be giving names after such masterful responses...ahem... he's the electrician that "oversees me", I always thought that guy was full of it sometimes... lol... no pun to any of you though! Thanks!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In my experience you cannot believe everything you hear in the field. Sometimes independent fact checking is required before you file it away in your brain as a fact.

There are still many electricians who tell me that EGC's do not count for conduit fill. I hear this quite often when they want to pull 18-#10's in a 1" EMT.:roll:

jumper

You are talking of the riser. You said service entrance conductors and I was wondering about that. Poco certainly has no say in that I wouldn't think.

BTW, I consider SE conductors to start where the riser wires or the service lateral wires end. Maybe I am wrong on that. Anyway I understand now.

I do not know where the demarcation point is. I have assumed(oh boy!) that it was at the meter, since our Poco gives us the meter base free.

We install the risers, but Poco and AHJ have to say okay for hook up.

Basically: I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.