When is a splice allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zog

Actually these two question is specifically about residential ranges, dryer, heater (dedicated lines).

1) How many ranges are allowed in one residence.

2) I was taught that you are to have an "unbroken"(no splices) line from the breaker to the dedicated appliance, is this true?

Nope, no NEC violation to use splices, apparantly it is OK to use 60 little 4" pieces of scrap wire you haev laying around in your van scrap bucket all spliced together to make that 20 foot run.

He is a little thread on the topic. http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=125064

jumper

Nope, no NEC violation to use splices, apparantly it is OK to use 60 little 4" pieces of scrap wire you haev laying around in your van scrap bucket all spliced together to make that 20 foot run.

He is a little thread on the topic. http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=125064

Not one person implied that. That is a bit overboard.

I have great respect for what you do and the specs involved, but this is a rather unfair statement insinuating malfeasance.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
lunalilo, you would have had a beeter question if you had asked "When is a splice not allowed".

Roger

Jim W in Tampa

I would prefer no splice but if its a long run and a chance to use 2 pieces in the truck then go for it. Now had he managed to get you to think its code then some day you would pass it along.

growler

It's a great idea but it just won't work. You can not splice 4" sections of wire togather. Each seperate splice would need to be made in a juntion box. You would need 6" of wire out of each junction box so if the boxes were 4" apart then the shortest section of wire that could be spliced would be around 16" in length ( really longer than that but just to make a point).

The point is that your are allowed to splice but it must be done in the correct manner. :)

WinZip

Here we go again , Idea why not put 3 - 6 ft x 6 ft x 8 in deep junction boxes under a house an use up all your scrap wire from trucks an shop and maybe a few large junction boxes in attic to LOL and I'm sure some here would think of doing it.

real class act there.

growler

Idea why not put 3 - 6 ft x 6 ft x 8 in deep junction boxes under a house an use up all your scrap wire from trucks an shop and maybe a few large junction boxes in attic.

I think those junction boxes ( that size ) are kind of expensive and would defeat the purpose.

WinZip

OK then how about 80 4 x 4 or 60 4 11/16th boxes

To me it's just not the proper way for a tradesmen or master to conduct his trade,but there are many in here that think splicing is fine.

Curious to know when most of you started in this trade where you taught these wiring habits.

WinZip

Well Dave if you can sleep at night then continue that way but i am old school an i just cant see taking these jack leg short cuts , just my opinion.

When I estimate a run it is with out splice an I don't mean receptacle - lighting - switch boxes where you do make joints I am speaking about dedicated runs , ranges - dryers - ovens - water heaters - home runs to first outlet box of 8 to 10 outlets ETC

WinZip

Pride in the Electrical field is slowly slipping away from what I see on jobs I have looked at an seen.

growler

Well Dave if you can sleep at night then continue that way but i am old school an i just cant see taking these jack leg short cuts , just my opinion.

When I estimate a run it is with out splice an I don't mean receptacle - lighting - switch boxes where you do make joints I am speaking about dedicated runs , ranges - dryers - ovens - water heaters - home runs to first outlet box of 8 to 10 outlets ETC

Pride in the Electrical field is slowly slipping away from what I see on jobs I have looked at an seen.

So you assume that your job is going to be more professional just because you choose never to make a splice. Maybe and maybe not there are many other factors to consider.

I would have to look at the overall job before making such a judgement call. You may do things different than others normally do them ( but still acceptable).

There was actually more than one "old school" and everyone didn't go to the same one. To assume that something is wrong just because it's not the way you would normally do it is more along the lines of being anally retentive than old school.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

Let's say I run a 12-3 to a convenient spot in the crawl, branch out and hit two bathrooms. Do the same thing to the kitchen for the SABC.

Voltage drop is reduced, device boxes are less crowded making trim easier, panel is neater because number of grounded conductors and EGC are reduced. What's not to be proud of?

I feel so proud right now I'm sitting up straighter in my chair.

WinZip

OK lets say we have a single run 65 ft 6/3 CU with grd to a range outlet , now which is the proper an professional way to run this circuit.

#1 Complete run from electrical panel to the range outlet.

#2 Run 30 ft to a junction box then 35 ft to range outlet.

#3 Run 25 ft to first junction box then 30 ft to second junction box then 10 ft to the range outlet.

The only answer is to choose #1 or #2 or #3

Can we just get an answer without all the other BS!

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
3/4 EMT to a 1900 box behind the range, 8 AWG THHN conductors in the pipe, preferably to a hard wire style flex on the range that gets spliced to the branch circuit conductors. I HATE 6 romex. And I really hate trying to make up a 50A recep with it.

lunalilo

Wow.

Wow.

First off, as an apprentice, I find it amazing to finally find out that you could technically "splice-as-much-as-you-want-as-long-as-you-have-the-junction-boxes-to-do-it-with-without-undermining-the-art-of-electrical".

Second, I never knew EGC's sometimes aren't counted for fill for some licensed electricians, because that's not what i was taught by my college instructor.

And three, as an apprentice, I sometimes get confused, because when I have to sit through an inspection (it seems so they can point the finger at me when things go wrong) the inpector almost always passing right by something the electricians were worried about "might not pass".

Boy I can't wait to own my own contracting business someday!!!

lunalilo

lunalilo, you would have had a beeter question if you had asked "When is a splice not allowed".

Roger

I would have definitely have done this, but it was my impression to get a straight "yes" or "no" answer and then maybe a line or two explaining, but such is never the case I guess... which is a good thing.

iwire

Staff member
OK lets say we have a single run 65 ft 6/3 CU with grd to a range outlet , now which is the proper an professional way to run this circuit.

#1 Complete run from electrical panel to the range outlet.

#2 Run 30 ft to a junction box then 35 ft to range outlet.

#3 Run 25 ft to first junction box then 30 ft to second junction box then 10 ft to the range outlet.

The only answer is to choose #1 or #2 or #3

Can we just get an answer without all the other BS!

No, because it is BS question.

Status
Not open for further replies.