Dryer and Range on same circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpie

I have a costumer who does not want to pay me to run a circuit for a second range in the basement. She wants me to tap off of the dryer circuit.

I was looking through 210 and from all that I saw, I am probably not allowed to do that unless I put each on a receptacle.

I really don't want to do it. Are there any code issues that you think I should be aware of:-?

Thanks,

raider1

Staff member
If the dryer is a 30 amp circuit check out 210.23(B). This section states that a rating of any one cord-and-plug connected utilization equipment shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch circuit ampere rating. Therefore you could not have a range and a dryer on a single 30 amp circuit.

Chris

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
If the dryer is a 30 amp circuit check out 210.23(B). This section states that a rating of any one cord-and-plug connected utilization equipment shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch circuit ampere rating. Therefore you could not have a range and a dryer on a single 30 amp circuit.

Chris

Chris, I'm not sure I understand your interpretation of 210.23(B). If the existing dryer circuit is 30 amp, and the dryer is rated 24 Amps, and the new range is rated 20 amps, then the rating of neither cord-and-plug connected equipment exceeds 80% of the branch-circuit rating. Wouldn't this be OK?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
First off, don't allow the HO to tell you how things need to be done. Secondly- what is the rating of a range. A range is usually 40 amps.

Jim W in Tampa

Tell the customer that you do not do hack work. Better yet ask them to show you where it permitted by NEC and hand them your book. That should shut them up fast.
I am sure some handyman will do it for them. And be sure to note your decline on the bill because if there is a problem after a hack does it you will need it.

raider1

Staff member
Chris, I'm not sure I understand your interpretation of 210.23(B). If the existing dryer circuit is 30 amp, and the dryer is rated 24 Amps, and the new range is rated 20 amps, then the rating of neither cord-and-plug connected equipment exceeds 80% of the branch-circuit rating. Wouldn't this be OK?

Sorry, I kind of had a brain fart when quoting that section and you are correct that what you have quoted would meet that section.:)

Chris

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Tell the customer that you do not do hack work. Better yet ask them to show you where it permitted by NEC and hand them your book. That should shut them up fast.
I am sure some handyman will do it for them. And be sure to note your decline on the bill because if there is a problem after a hack does it you will need it.

Jim, that's very hostile. I think the OP asked if there was a code issue that prevented it. So far there doesn't seem to be, although we don't know the ratings of either the range, dryer or branch circuit in question.

But, if for instance, the owner wanted to connect a 30A rated range to an existing 30A (dryer) branch circuit, and they understood that they wouldn't be able to operate both appliances at the same time, where is it a code violation? And what makes it a "hack" installation?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How about tapping a dryer from a water heater circuit? I know a guy who did that with a DPDT switch.

Jim W in Tampa

Jim, that's very hostile. I think the OP asked if there was a code issue that prevented it. So far there doesn't seem to be, although we don't know the ratings of either the range, dryer or branch circuit in question.

But, if for instance, the owner wanted to connect a 30A rated range to an existing 30A (dryer) branch circuit, and they understood that they wouldn't be able to operate both appliances at the same time, where is it a code violation? And what makes it a "hack" installation?

Not trying to be hostile. If customer hires electrician it is because they do not know how to do the job. They either accept my methods or i walk out. They do not tell me how to do a job.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
If the circuit is for the dryer and it uses 50% or more then can we add another load ?

That's really the question. Would this violate any section of the code? It may, but none of the sections listed yet seem to apply.

For instance, 210.23(A) permits 15 A branch circuits to supply utilization equipment and 210.21(B)(3) permits only 15 A receptacles on 15 A branch circuits. 210.23(B) permits 30A branch circuits to supply utilization equipment and 210.21 (B)(3) permits on 30A receptacles on a 30 A branch circuit. Would plugging in an appliance that uses 75% of the 15A branch circuit preclude plugging in additional load to that circuit?

Nothing indicated, so far, seems to suggest that the dryer circuit needs to be dedicated.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Not trying to be hostile. If customer hires electrician it is because they do not know how to do the job. They either accept my methods or i walk out. They do not tell me how to do a job.

I don't agree. I know how to do the job, but I'd probably higher a professional rather than do it myself.

It's the owner's house, not yours. If what they are requesting is not in violation of the code, why would you have an issue with it?

Jim W in Tampa

I don't agree. I know how to do the job, but I'd probably higher a professional rather than do it myself.

It's the owner's house, not yours. If what they are requesting is not in violation of the code, why would you have an issue with it?

Rather simple, if i am the installer and the owner starts telling me how to do my job i pick up my tools and walk out. I do not need there instructions or help. If they know how to do it then great they can. Why call an electrician ? Do you go to a doctors office and tell him how to do his job. If what they are requesting does not sound professional to me i will not do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.