9ft Flex Support Variance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tldouglas

The hospital we are working on is built on isolators that allow the building to move 30" in any direction, 5'-0" overall. We have flex from the ground to the building and the shortest we can make the flex between supports to allow this movement is 9'-0". We are unable to find an exception in the CEC/NEC for this condition and the IOR has turned down our inspection. Any help would be appreciated.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I don't think you'll find an exception.

If you are looking in the CEC I assume that you are in CA and since you are doing a hospital I know that you are dealing with the state.

I would think that it's up to you or the engineer to show the inspector that it is allowed.

Since we don't do hospitals at the local levels here, I don't know much about them, but I'm guessing that they are not required to have that much movement and if they are then it should be addressed somewhere in one or all of the codes.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
TL, welcome to the forum! :)

You're caught between conflicting requirements. There should be a way to "introduce" Rule A Enforcer to Rule B Enforcer and let them hash it out.

This can't be the first time this situation has popped up, unless these are new requirements. How was it resolved before? Can you find a similar install?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
The hospital we are working on is built on isolators that allow the building to move 30" in any direction, 5'-0" overall. We have flex from the ground to the building and the shortest we can make the flex between supports to allow this movement is 9'-0". We are unable to find an exception in the CEC/NEC for this condition and the IOR has turned down our inspection. Any help would be appreciated.
It should be possible to design a support that would allow the necessary flexibility during an earthquake. I would think that this would be the responsibility of the isolation system designer.

For example, you could use something strong enough to hold the weight of the flex, but weak enough to break away during an earthquake. Or a flexible support with enough elasticity to allow the necessary movement. Or a support that is fixed vertically but can move in the horizontal plane .

Cheers, Wayne

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Use 'energy chain' for the support? These are the 'roller chain' like guides used on some heavy equipment to protect hydraulic hoses and the like.

-Jon

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Okay, I've drawn a roller bracket for mounting a second piece of strut (which holds the raceway with the usual hardware) in front of the wall-mounted piece.

It can be made as either one or two separate pieces, so any length of strut can be used between them, for more than one raceway or raceways of different sizes.

It inserts into a piece of strut as easily as any standard 2-piece strut strap does. Where do I send my submission (besides registered to myself and my lawyer?)

tldouglas

9Ft flex is still an Issue

9Ft flex is still an Issue

Does this attach the image when it is sent? I tried dragging the image to this message box and lost everything. Baby steps.

tldouglas

9ft flex clarified

9ft flex clarified

Thanks for your comments. We are design assist so they have asked for our help. We've checked simular projects and they have either not had to support the flex or the EOR designed a non-listed assembly not allowed on this project.

Maybe if I am more clear, some of your ideas are clever. The flex attaches to the floor horizontally and to the deck 6ft above vertically. The flex is shaped like a goose neck to allow the movement to and from the floor attachment and the flex needs to move 360 degrees. As the building moves toward or away the center of the flex moves up as well as side to side in the direction the building is moving. The supports need to move on the horizontal and vertical plane. A cable on a pulley with a counterweight per conduit would phyically work however it's not listed.

Thanks

benaround

Yeah. Unistrut straps with built-in rollers that traverse the strut channel.

Two struts mount to ceiling, spaced apart just enough for a third strut to catch one side

of each, facing upside down. The grooves that hold 'straps' in will lock into each other and

slide very easy. I've made tool drawers like this and it handles the weight just fine.

wireguru

wait, cant you just take a minerallac (sp?) clamp with an eye bolt in it, attach it in the center of the span of flex, and hang it from the deck with wire rope? Could hang it from a big spring, similar to whats used sometimes with cord drops and wire mesh cord grips.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Use 'energy chain' for the support? These are the 'roller chain' like guides used on some heavy equipment to protect hydraulic hoses and the like.

-Jon
Example from one manufacturer.

However, I have not seen any energy chain which permits 3-axis movement. It permits considerable one-axis movement. Two-axis movement is severely limited compared to one-axis. And three-axis is ??? Note the linked page mentions rotary near bottom right.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Does this attach the image when it is sent? I tried dragging the image to this message box and lost everything. Baby steps.

No image here. That looks more to be a local network address. Needs to be a URL (internet address) or uploaded to this site. See manage attachments below the Advanced Reply box...

Status
Not open for further replies.