Dryer and Range on same circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenje

You guys are way over thinking this. When the 30 amp breaker trips the HO will just call "Harvey the Handyman" and he will stick in a 50 so it will hold. Problem solved. :)

iwire

Staff member
Tripping a circuit breaker is not considered a safety issue.

Sure it is, otherwise we would not need any load calculations.

iwire said:
If it is a safety concern why can I place multiple receptacles on a circuit?

Permissive code :roll:.

What we cannot do is design a circuit which is planned to exceed its capacity.

I can run a circuit with fourty NEMA 14-30 receptacles on it so the dryer can be moved around.

I cannot design a circuit with two 14-30 outlets intended to serve more than a total of 7200 watts.

I did not dispute the NEC requires load calculations, I do dispute the idea an otherwise properly wired overloaded circuit is a 'safety concern'.

Big differance between the 2. A normal branch circuit of 15 or 20 amps seldom trips breaker for overload. Putting a dryer and a range on a 30 is not a maybe, it will be tripping often under normal use.

Again Jim, I was talking about the safety issue, if you do not think that a properly wired circuit is safe I guess you are in the wrong trade.

The fact is GP circuits do become overloaded, the NEC knows that and does nothing to prevent it, that to me says it is not a safety concern.

Volta

I did not dispute the NEC requires load calculations, I do dispute the idea an otherwise properly wired overloaded circuit is a 'safety concern'.

Again Jim, I was talking about the safety issue, if you do not think that a properly wired circuit is safe I guess you are in the wrong trade.

The fact is GP circuits do become overloaded, the NEC knows that and does nothing to prevent it, that to me says it is not a safety concern.

I suppose that the difference is the regularity. If a vacuum cleaner is used occasionally on a circuit that already carries 6 amps, we may total 18, and overload a 15 amp #14 AWG circuit. Not often, though (at least at my house :roll:), and the breaker may or may not trip in the time alloted.

But as that is #14, we know it can handle the 18 amp load, and this may be a large part of the reason for the Small Conductor Rule.

But if we find a scenario where a 50 amp breaker is protecting 75 deg C #8 THHW serving a 62 amp load, and the trip curve shows that the device will hold for two minutes or more, maybe five, do you not feel that numerous repetitions will lead to a premature deterioration of the insulation?

Jim W in Tampa

"Again Jim, I was talking about the safety issue, if you do not think that a properly wired circuit is safe I guess you are in the wrong trade."

Key word here is PROPERLY WIRED

If they are then yes safe. One like we are talking here is far from properly wired. A circuit that you know will be overloaded is a hack at work.

If your saying a circuit is safe as long as the wire is protected with correct breaker then exsplain why we have a rule about dedicated circuit if 1 item uses 50% or more. That could easily be a dish washer that takes 11 amps and a garbage disposal at 6 on a #12 circuit.
NEC says no yet the circuit would be fine. What say you now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.