Egc ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I'm installing a sub-panel fed with a 60A 2p breaker in the main panel. I will be pullin in 3 #6's and a #10 for the EGC. I have an issue where I want to move 8 circuits from one panel to the new sub-panel using a 1" Sch 40 PVC nipple. The nipple is about 4" in length so I don't have to be worried about the derating of 310.15(B)(2)(a).

My question is do I have to reroute the EGC's of the eight circuits or can I leave them in the original, main, panel?

As always thanks in advance.

Volta

I'm installing a sub-panel fed with a 60A 2p breaker in the main panel. I will be pullin in 3 #6's and a #10 for the EGC. I have an issue where I want to move 8 circuits from one panel to the new sub-panel using a 1" Sch 40 PVC nipple. The nipple is about 4" in length so I don't have to be worried about the derating of 310.15(B)(2)(a).

My question is do I have to reroute the EGC's of the eight circuits or can I leave them in the original, main, panel?

You will have installed one #10 EGC between the sub-panel's EGC bar and the main panel's EGC bar so IMO no additional wire is needed if all 12 wires are in the same nipple and the existing branch circuits remain routed through the main.

erickench

When you say move eight circuits do you mean reconnect them to CBs in the new subpanel? Is'nt the 1" PVC nipple used for the new subfeeder?

Buck Parrish

My feeling is it would be a better ground if left in the main panel.
Obviously the neutrals have to go with the hots.

Occupation
Inspector
You will have installed one #10 EGC between the sub-panel's EGC bar and the main panel's EGC bar so IMO no additional wire is needed if all 12 wires are in the same nipple and the existing branch circuits remain routed through the main.

Existing circuits will be reouted through the Main panel

When you say move eight circuits do you mean reconnect them to CBs in the new subpanel? Is'nt the 1" PVC nipple used for the new subfeeder?

I had thought of two nipples, 1 for feeder and 1 for circuits. I just did a fill calculation and if my math is correct I think I can use 1 nipple for both.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You need an egc the size that your largest circuit would need. Thus if its all 20 amp circuits or a combo of 20 and 15 amp circuits then one #12 would comply. If the #10 egc from the feeder is in that pie then that is all you would need.

erickench

There does not seem to be any rule in the NEC that requires the EGC to be connected to the ground bar in the panel where the circuit originated. Nor is there any rule that prohibit's the EGC from being connected to a panel ground bar other than the one where it originated. So I guess you could connect the EGC to the ground bar in the subpanel even though the circuit does not originate there. However, NEC 300.3(B) requires that all conductors of the same circuit, the grounded conductor and the EGCs are to be contained within the same raceway, auxiliary gutter, cable tray, cablebus assembly, trench cable, or cord, unless otherwise permitted. There would be an EGC connection running from the subpanel to the main. A factor to consider is that all EGC's in the subpanel are connected together at the subpanel ground bar and that the EGC to the main panel is based on the size of the 60A CB feeding the subpanel. Then again the subfeeder rating is higher than the branch circuit ratings so it should be large enough for any branch circuit experiencing a short-circuit condition.

Last edited:

Volta

There does not seem to be any rule in the NEC that requires the EGC to be connected to the ground bar in the panel where the circuit originated. Nor is there any rule that prohibit's the EGC from being connected to a panel ground bar other than the one where it originated. So I guess you could connect the EGC to the ground bar in the subpanel even though the circuit does not originate there.
They will originate in the sub-panel.
However, NEC 300.3(B) requires that all conductors of the same circuit, the grounded conductor and the EGCs are to be contained within the same raceway, auxiliary gutter, cable tray, cablebus assembly, trench cable, or cord, unless otherwise permitted...
It would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.