Crane Signaler's

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

It just amazing to me at time what is found in a nation paper (web-site).

Here's a refresher for those that deal with lifting a load by crane or other mechanical means.

Note the OSHA will be revising the rules for certification for crane operations!

Hook, Line and Signaler - a NY Times article.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I'm sure a lot of Times readers found that to be useful info.:) For those of us in the field, signals can be found in the back of Ugly's.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Unfortunately they only talk about signals. No commentary on load weights, boom angle, or other considerations when rigging. Common sense is not as common as we would like to have in the industry - please pay attention when the size goes up (Like moving 100 KW gen sets up to the roof, etc).

ohmhead

Well nice reading but no one uses most of the signals in the pictures in the field theres only about 5 or 6 of them used and we never use two hands only one hand when its just a boom crane.

Are crane operators would laugh at that !

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I already knew hoist up/down, boom up/down, and swing left/right, but I knew all-stop to be a fist held up.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Well I knew the proper signals, but have always used as others do the fist held up with elbow essentially at 90?. Abrupt or emergency stop fist and arm straight up.
Right, like the right-on sign.

"Solid!" ~ Link in The Mod Squad

ohmhead

Well we use radios today its safer and saves lives boom or tower cranes today hand signals are a accident waiting to happen . This is our job site we have track booms all over the job on every side and inside plus two 150 foot towers 600 amp 3 phase 480 volt .
Radios are the best way today stop using hand signals 15 years ago .

DuvalCountyUnifiedCourtFacility2-5.jpg
!

Last edited:

wtucker

For those of us in the field, signals can be found in the back of Ugly's.

Or, if the crane company's complying with OSHA, the signals will be posted at the job site:

1926.550(a)(4) Hand signals to crane and derrick operators shall be those prescribed by the applicable ANSI standard for the type of crane in use. An illustration of the signals shall be posted at the job site.

But radios work much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.