Is remarking white THHN prohibited?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volta

Wait...

So your nto allowed to use white THHN then recode?

And am I right in thinking that you can recode "any other color" to "any other color" as long as it's not originally gray white or green?

Kinda, except for size. If in a cable you can reidentify the white as an ungrounded 200.7(C).

If in a cord you don't have to reidentify it at all 200.7(C)(3).

You can only reidentify individual conductors larger than #6 as a gray, white, or green as Grounded or Equipment Gounding.

macmikeman

Kinda, except for size. If in a cable you can reidentify the white as an ungrounded 200.7(C).

If in a cord you don't have to reidentify it at all 200.7(C)(3).

You can only reidentify individual conductors larger than #6 as a gray, white, or green as Grounded or Equipment Gounding.

Whoops, the question I asked is clearly answered already in this thread....

Last edited:

hardworkingstiff

I'm losing faith in the Code day by day. If this were a new instalation, yes, use the proper color. But seeing as how the old white wire is cemented in, then you are faced with removing and replacing the compound as well as replacing the wire. Maybe $50 or $100 bucks to satisfy some stupid technical rule [in this case] versus 5 cents worth of tape.
And, as is pointed out, the electricity doesn't care.
~Peter

It would be a lot more than $100. It could also wind up being a job to replace the conduit if the existing conductors cannot be removed (chico not properly installed and down in the 90, internal conduit corrosion that won't allow the conductors to come out).

In this case I would not hesitate to use the existing conductors if the insulation is OK and the white wire did not feed anything else other than the pump motor.

As far as the e-stop, if it is properly installed, it is breaking the neutral now and would still break the neutral changed to a hot. I would also trace the conductor through each box back to the panel and re-identify the white all the way back.

I would think a reasonable inspector may not make a big deal about this, what say you inspectors? Am I wrong?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Wait...

So your nto allowed to use white THHN then recode?

And am I right in thinking that you can recode "any other color" to "any other color" as long as it's not originally gray white or green?

This is somewhat convoluted but generally, you cannot "legally" remark a white, gray, or green conductor at all to another color.

A conductor that is not white, gray, or green and is larger than #6 can be remarked to white or green.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It would be a lot more than $100. It could also wind up being a job to replace the conduit if the existing conductors cannot be removed (chico not properly installed and down in the 90, internal conduit corrosion that won't allow the conductors to come out).

In this case I would not hesitate to use the existing conductors if the insulation is OK and the white wire did not feed anything else other than the pump motor.

As far as the e-stop, if it is properly installed, it is breaking the neutral now and would still break the neutral changed to a hot. I would also trace the conductor through each box back to the panel and re-identify the white all the way back.

I would think a reasonable inspector may not make a big deal about this, what say you inspectors? Am I wrong?

I may go along with you for the reasons you stated, but not just because you don't feel lke it or it's cheaper. I didn't decide to change the motor, someone else did.

A little of the track, but to kind of explain my answer, replace is not repair. Replace is new.

Status
Not open for further replies.