Question on UFER Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

KWH

I have a service consisting of two 200amp main breaker panels concerning the ufer ground can I install 1 #4 bare from rebar, terminate wire in one panel then split bolt off this wire to the other panel, when dealing with a ground rod I would have run a seperate wire from each panel to the ground rod terminating under seperate clamps.

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have a service consisting of two 200amp main breaker panels concerning the ufer ground can I install 1 #4 bare from rebar, terminate wire in one panel then split bolt off this wire to the other panel, when dealing with a ground rod I would have run a seperate wire from each panel to the ground rod terminating under seperate clamps.

Thanks

I don't see a question but if you are asking if this is compliant I would say yes.

We always terminate in the meter to avoid terminating in two panels. Some areas won't allow this but fortunately they allow it here.

KWH

Ufer Ground

Ufer Ground

Dennis, I was wanting to make sure I could ground both panels with one wire.

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Dennis, I was wanting to make sure I could ground both panels with one wire.

Thanks

Yes, I thought I answered that. The ufer gfoes to oone panel and you split bolt a #4 of the ufer to the second panel. This is code compliant. Does that answer it or am I still off.

KWH

Dennis you covered it thanks to all

Dennis you covered it thanks to all

I was confusing this with how I alway's did my ground rods.

Thanks

glene77is

You can tiewire shorter sections of rebar together to achieve the overall 20' length.

Chris

Thanks for the quotes. Had not looked at 264 in a long time.

I am baffled by the idea that
a tie-wire makes a good electrical joint,
in concrete after corrosion and rust set in.

:)

Cavie

I don't see a question but if you are asking if this is compliant I would say yes.

We always terminate in the meter to avoid terminating in two panels. Some areas won't allow this but fortunately they allow it here.

If you landed the UFER in one panel, wouldn't that connect the second panel through the neutral in the meter can??

Volta

If you landed the UFER in one panel, wouldn't that connect the second panel through the neutral in the meter can??

You would think so but 250.64(D)(1)does not appear to accept that as a method of bonding the enclosures.

Without quoting any text, I don't think that we want to let the grounding of one service disconnect enclosure and Grounded Conductor to be dependant on another backfed that way.

If the first panel is compromised, the second will not be earthed.

Status
Not open for further replies.