outlet location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Guns

In a kitchen where there is an island and three sides of the island is sheet rock, and the side that is facing the living room or dinning room is 30 inches do you need a receptcale on the side facing this room if you have one on the front side of island 36 inches away. The island consist of a sink no range or cook top

Smart $

Esteemed Member
In a kitchen where there is an island and three sides of the island is sheet rock, and the side that is facing the living room or dinning room is 30 inches do you need a receptcale on the side facing this room if you have one on the front side of island 36 inches away. The island consist of a sink no range or cook top
If my residential code memory serves me correctly, it first depends on whether the island's "backside" is considered in the kitchen or bordering the other room (can't be both). If it borders the other room, it is considered a wall space 24" or greater in width, and would require a receptacle.

mcclary's electrical

If my residential code memory serves me correctly, it first depends on whether the island's "backside" is considered in the kitchen or bordering the other room (can't be both). If it borders the other room, it is considered a wall space 24" or greater in width, and would require a receptacle.

...210.52 (a) (2) (3)........................

Last edited:

electricmanscott

This debate is going to go on and on and on.......

My take, not wall space. Never treated it as such, never considered it as such, never met an inspector that considered it as such, never install receptacles as such.

mcclary's electrical

This debate is going to go on and on and on.......

My take, not wall space. Never treated it as such, never considered it as such, never met an inspector that considered it as such, never install receptacles as such.

Inspectors around here enforce 210.52(a) (2) (2),,,,and (a) (2) (3) all the time.

I went a round with a Richmond inspector over this and could not prove him wrong. I consider it an island or penninsula, not a wall, but I cannot prove it with the wording

M. D.

Not sure I even know what the question is ,. but were I
right in my understanding, I'd agree with Scott .

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I went a round with a Richmond inspector over this and could not prove him wrong.
I had to in Richmond, too, but there was no argument. I asked ahead of time, and the inspector said I could use either the living-room receptacle circuit or an SA circuit; I chose the former.

mcclary's electrical

I had to in Richmond, too, but there was no argument. I asked ahead of time, and the inspector said I could use either the living-room receptacle circuit or an SA circuit; I chose the former.

In my case, we discussed it for a few moments, with no luck. The inspectors initials were JT. :grin:,(this was two three ago),,It passed roughin fine, and the final he made me put a receptacle on an island that divided the kitchen from the dining room. I already had one in place for the SABC, he wanted an additional one on the back because it was longer than 6'. The wording is not there to prove him wrong, but I will say that (2) is used for sliding glass panels to be included in the measurement, but not requiring it contain a receptacle, so,,,IMO (3) is the same. If you had a fixed glass panel larger than 6',,,,,would you make me put a receptacle in it??? NO,,,,,so (3) should be applied the same way. But JT does not see it that way

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.