TR receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
To me it makes perfect sence, if replacing a 3 wire receptacle, to replace it with a TR receptacle. What do you guys think?

I pretty much agree but it shouldn't be enforced as code unless it is adopted as an amendment.

Roger

Split Bolt

As I live and work in Virginia, (still 2005 here) I haven't purchased any TR receptacles yet. I was playing with the display at my supply house the other day and have some questions for you guys that work in states that have governments that can act quickly. When troubleshooting a dead circuit, a quick continuity check between the neutral and ground with my Vol-Con at a dead receptacle can tell me if it is likely a tripped GFI. (since the neutral will be disconnected from the ground) How do you do this with TR receptacles? Also, I will stick the tip of my "sniffer" into the "hot" slot to see if there is power there. I can also leave it in there and listen for the tone to stop while I am flipping breakers. Very handy, but I'm afraid that won't be possible with the TRs.:mad:

Split Bolt

Yeah, I suppose I'll have to do something!:mad: I did come up with a new name for the TR receptacles though. (I'll try to keep it G-rated so it doesn't get deleted) I now call them "DP receptacles!":grin:

hardworkingstiff

Yeah, I suppose I'll have to do something!:mad: I did come up with a new name for the TR receptacles though. (I'll try to keep it G-rated so it doesn't get deleted) I now call them "DP receptacles!":grin:

Took me a second but that's pretty funny. :D

Well.............. been more than a few seconds and I hate to admit it but, still trying to figure it out. I guess I'm a dummy.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would say that it should be interpreted as AFCI is. :)

AFCI may be different since you can change a recep and not have to add AFCI to the circuit. But I believe if you replace a recep. in a bathroom that was not GFCI protected previously that you have to use a GFCI as a replacement. Same for TR as I stated in Post #2

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
AFCI may be different since you can change a recep and not have to add AFCI to the circuit. But I believe if you replace a recep. in a bathroom that was not GFCI protected previously that you have to use a GFCI as a replacement. Same for TR as I stated in Post #2

Dennis, where can we find the requirement for this?

If we don't have to replace a standard breaker with an AFCI why would we have to replace a non TR receptacle with a TR? Personally I would if I had one at my disposal but I wouldn't make a special trip to get one.

Heck, I would even replace a two prong receptacle with a two prong receptacle. :grin:

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Unfortunately you will not find this written anywhere. It comes down to interpretation. You have a point about AFCI however it has been widely accepted that you do not need to involve AFCI if the circuit is not extended.

In terms of non grounded being replaced with non grounded receptacles-- that is explicitly allowed in art. 406.3(D)(3)(a)

No one has thought to define when AFCI and TR's should be used. IMO, the cost of a TR is insignificant esp. if you are replacing just a few. My suppliers don't even stock non TR recep. unless they are 20 amp.

Volta

My point is that for the simple replacement of any circuit component, except in 210.8 locations, the NEC has never required newer versions.

As far as I know, 406(D)(2) is the only replacement requirement in the NEC.

If a replacement receptacle is to be interpreted to be required to be a newer version, than the same logic is needed when replacing a breaker feeding an AFCI area, assuring modern 110.26 compliance when an old fuse is to be replaced, or requiring a new circuit when the Living Room receptacle outlet is found to be on the same circuit as the Dining Roo.

Slippery slope here, and no NEC text to back it up that I know of.

Status
Not open for further replies.