GFCI in a bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexie123

Here's the situation.

Two GFCI's in a two gang box in a bathroom. Both on the same circuit. One is a constant feed. One is a switched. These receptacles are feeding a tv that when you turn off is a mirror with lights. (It's a high end hotel in NYC).

Question. Is there anyway these receptacles can go WITHOUT gfci protection? They're right above the sink. GFCI protected breakers are not an option.

Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
All receptacles in a bathroom must be protected by GFCI. What's the problem with 2 GFCI recep. in a box? I believe the switched recep. may be a violation if it is for lighting. It should be on a different circuit unless the entire bathroom is on the circuit.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Here's the situation.

Two GFCI's in a two gang box in a bathroom. Both on the same circuit. One is a constant feed. One is a switched. These receptacles are feeding a tv that when you turn off is a mirror with lights. (It's a high end hotel in NYC).

Question. Is there anyway these receptacles can go WITHOUT gfci protection? They're right above the sink. GFCI protected breakers are not an option.

Thanks.

Why, too expensive?:confused:

Put GFCI receptacle or GFCI face eleswhere in bathroom and feed the receptacles in question from the load side of it.

Dexie123

Well it's not residential. And there is another dedicated receptacle in the bathroom. Are you saying that his one needs to be dedicated to the bathroom as well? Also is it permissible to have GFCI protection on for a receptacle for lighting when there are other lights in the bathroom that's NOT gfci protected?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Well it's not residential. And there is another dedicated receptacle in the bathroom. Are you saying that his one needs to be dedicated to the bathroom as well? Also is it permissible to have GFCI protection on for a receptacle for lighting when there are other lights in the bathroom that's NOT gfci protected?

No, my mistake I was thinking residence. Your install is fine.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The gfci protection is not for the lighting but rather for the things that get plugged in-- you know things with cords that can end up in a sink if they get dropped. Lighting that is direct wired is not an issue. Some hotel units may be considered a dwelling.

Dwelling Unit. A single unit, providing complete and independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, and sanitation

Dexie123

The biggest issue that the GC is having is if the gfci trips how do you reset it? The tv will make it impossible to do this as it's too heavy to just move and reset.

Thanks for your reply's

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I believe the switched recep. may be a violation if it is for lighting.
Not at all. Nothing prohibits using a switched receptacle for lighting. Now, if you want to substitute that configuration for an overhead light, there might be an issue. ;)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
The biggest issue that the GC is having is if the gfci trips how do you reset it? The tv will make it impossible to do this as it's too heavy to just move and reset.
You lost me here. Are the receptacles visible to a person standing in the bathroom? Can you not just reach over and push the reset button, like you can in your own kitchen? :confused:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
It sounds as if the receptacles are mounted behind the TV/mirror.
But the reason I ask is that in post #1 it is described as two receptacle devices, side by side, in the same box, with the "other" one being unswitched. I infer that is intended to be used by the hotel guest for the shaver or phone charger or something. So it must be accessible to a person standing in the room.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
But the reason I ask is that in post #1 it is described as two receptacle devices, side by side, in the same box, with the "other" one being unswitched. I infer that is intended to be used by the hotel guest for the shaver or phone charger or something. So it must be accessible to a person standing in the room.

I inferred that the TV would plug into the unswitched receptacle, and the mirror lighting would plug into the switched receptacle, but I could be wrong.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
You could also install a faceless GFCI device in an accessible loaction and protect the receptacle behind the TV with that.

Yes, I think kwired and Dennis suggested that in earlier posts. I wonder if by doing that you couldn't remove the second receptacle, using one receptacle split-wired.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Last code cycle the NEC mandated that the gfci for the hydromassage tubs be readily accesible. In 2011, I believe, they will mandate that all GFCI devices be readily accessible. Thus if the receptacle is truely behind the TV that is not easily moved then it would be a violation in the upcoming code.

Dexie123

The receptacles are side by side. One is swiched. One is not. One is for lighting of a tv/mirror combo (very cool expensive tv I might add) and one if for the tv. When the tv is up on the wall the receptacles will NOT be accessable. There are other receptacle(s) in the room on different circuit(s) that satisfy the code. These are in addition to them.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The receptacles are side by side. One is swiched. One is not. One is for lighting of a tv/mirror combo (very cool expensive tv I might add) and one if for the tv. When the tv is up on the wall the receptacles will NOT be accessable. There are other receptacle(s) in the room on different circuit(s) that satisfy the code. These are in addition to them.

I got it now. I was thinking one was for the vanity and the other for the tv/mirror. The TV GFCI is unswitched and the mirror GFCI is switched. Well it is a bad design in my eyes. If they are the same circuit then I would use a dead face gfci in line before the switches to the GFCI recep. in question. You could then eliminate the gfci's behind the tv/mirror.

3200615_083107i_mc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.