water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A water heater such as that is considered continuous-- art. 422.13.

4500 watts/240 volts = 18.75 amps
18.75 * 1.25= 23.5 amps.

OCP cannot exceed 150% 422.11(E)(3)

18.75 * 1.5 = 28 amps-- you may go to the next higher breaker size 422.11(E)(3)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The question cannot be answered without knowing the voltage. Dennis used the most probable value of 240. But if the heater were three phase, 480 volts (do they make such things?), the current would be under 7 amps, and a #12 would be acceptable.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The question cannot be answered without knowing the voltage. Dennis used the most probable value of 240. But if the heater were three phase, 480 volts (do they make such things?), the current would be under 7 amps, and a #12 would be acceptable.

4500 watt is a standard size resi. water heater so I used that as the basis. You are correct if it is 3 phase the situation would be different.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
On the other hand, a 4500w 240v water heater used on 208v would pass 16.25a and use 3380w.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I have seen many a condo or apartments wired with # 10 Al. serving water heaters. How did that pass?

One-eyed Jack

I have seen many a condo or apartments wired with # 10 Al. serving water heaters. How did that pass?

Don't know which code cycle that was in. Today #10 Al has a 30 amp rating. This is code compliant for a the 24 amp load of a 4.5 kw water heater. I would not do it. There was a time when the max ocp for a 4.5 kw water heater was 25 amp. Sometime in the 80's.

Status
Not open for further replies.