Just a disaster..

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

Of the many violations, the sad thing is the feeders are #2 CU orignally installed 25 years ago that the owner convinced the electrician to direct bury from house to outbuilding. Its 500 ft. from house too!!!! Being farmland there is no inspections/permits needed so they just did whatever. Why is it that if a piece of land is zoned for Farming then the city doesnt require permits?? :confused:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe we are dealing with the Darwin Principle here. Eventually there will be no more farmers. :)

That's pretty bad. I hope you get the op to make it right.

mcclary's electrical

Of the many violations, the sad thing is the feeders are #2 CU orignally installed 25 years ago that the owner convinced the electrician to direct bury from house to outbuilding. Its 500 ft. from house too!!!! Being farmland there is no inspections/permits needed so they just did whatever. Why is it that if a piece of land is zoned for Farming then the city doesnt require permits?? :confused:

I've never heard that, I do plenty of work on farms, and usually get inspections, especially for services.

#2 aluminum is probably one of the most popular conductors (around here) to run around from building to building on a farm. Depending on calculated load for panel, it's usually just right for a small building.

arits74

Occupation
working owner electrician
we have a state electrical inspector who i have seen out in the most rural locations here in arkansas,just last week he told me that he had no jurisdiction on a new farm shop we were wiring,but i do know that he enforces the NEC at farm irrigation wells,i did not ask him but i wonder why they do have jurisdiction at wells but not at farm shops?

growler

Why is it that if a piece of land is zoned for Farming then the city doesnt require permits?? :confused:

I would think that most land that's zoned for farming would not be under the jurisdiction of the "City". Farms tend to be in more rural areas.

When you get out in rural areas there may not be many permits issued unless it's for new construction but they may still be required. Find out who's jurisdiction the farm is under and call them and ask if permits are required.

mcclary's electrical

Yes and for that reason i would not touch this mess. Do not want my name involved or insurance. It's just waiting to go up in flames. Let the hack that did it fix it.

What does the present tense have to do with how it will perform and operate when you're done:confused:??? Hopefully nothing, as I don't understand your statement.

cadpoint

I think you were told a good story, VA Beach has a longer history of building permits. It all started after they built Shore Drive and people layed stake claims from route 17 (chick's beach) to Seashore State Park. This was in the mid 1920's.

In fact there was so much building going on that City of VB (before 25 years ago)and the farmers down in Pungo got worried and created the Green Line where no mass construction could happen below this line.
No new Building on farmers land without a permit/ use application, etc., it's very restrictive.

Yes his building was already there and he needed power, I'll give you that... :)

This Green line started at, I recall, on the road to Sandbridge or even at the end of Princess Anne Rd around VB's central services plaza, and below.
One has to realize that this is number two of VA's largest land mass city's, I beleive Suffolk is number one, the City of Suffolk just remained the county to be the city of...

hardworkingstiff

I think you were told a good story, VA Beach has a longer history of building permits. It all started after they built Shore Drive and people layed stake claims from route 17 (chick's beach) to Seashore State Park. This was in the mid 1920's.

In fact there was so much building going on that City of VB (before 25 years ago)and the farmers down in Pungo got worried and created the Green Line where no mass construction could happen below this line.
No new Building on farmers land without a permit/ use application, etc., it's very restrictive.

Yes his building was already there and he needed power, I'll give you that... :)

This Green line started at, I recall, on the road to Sandbridge or even at the end of Princess Anne Rd around VB's central services plaza, and below.
One has to realize that this is number two of VA's largest land mass city's, I beleive Suffolk is number one, the City of Suffolk just remained the county to be the city of...

How's a Durham guy know so much about Va Beach?

hardworkingstiff

I graduated from Kellam High School and went to ODU for 2 years.

I remember Pembroke mall being built, the toll road being built, Green Run was farm land, and I used to play in the fields that became Lynnhaven Mall. :)

Oh yea, Va Beach Blvd was 2 lanes each way with feeder roads on each side.

Henry the Bull got busted for an April fools joke, Mount Trashmore was leaking methane gas and everyone had to turn off their cars.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.