Bonding service

Status
Not open for further replies.

jheals

When bonding the galvinized rigid nipple beween the meter pan and 200A service panel, do we need to carry the bonding wire thru to the meter pan or do we just connected the bond wire to the bonding bushing in the service panel?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When bonding the galvinized rigid nipple beween the meter pan and 200A service panel, do we need to carry the bonding wire thru to the meter pan or do we just connected the bond wire to the bonding bushing in the service panel?
If bonding is required then it does not get carried thru t the disconnect. IMO, that would be a violation of parallelling the neutral. One would think metal conduit would also be a violation in this case but for some reason it is not.

So-- bonding bushing to terminal on both ends--

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
both ends ?
If the meter socket is bonded by the neutral block and the 200 amp disconnect (panel) is bonded by a bonding jumper (screw, etc.), then bonding the connecting nipple on either end (one end) should be all that's needed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Of course, Gus is correct. My meaning got screwed up because I was thinking the bonding could be done on both side, not just the meter side. Phew, I weaseled my way out of that. :)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes, the intent is to ground the metal nipple, which you only have to do in one location.

I agree. The grounded conductor is providing all the grounding of metal parts on the line side of the service disconnect.

cripple

Leo, what do you mean by "panel side only"?

Section 250.92(A) requires the bonding of service raceways, cable tray, cablebus framework, auxiliary gutters, or service cable armor and all service enclosures containing service conductors, including meter fittings, boxes, or the like, interposed in the service raceway or armor.
Section 250.92(B) requires electrical continuity of service equipment, but 230.66 does conceded meter sockets as service equipment and bounded by the manufacture.
Since service grounded (neutral conductor) is boded in the meter socket there is not need to bond the nipple between the meter and the service disconnecting means on the meter side.

Status
Not open for further replies.