Dishwasher outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dishwashers

Dishwashers

I have both installed and worked on residential dishwashers. Anyone installing a receptacle directly behind the dishwasher has not installed one. Getting the receptacle in the right place without the unit present is almost impossible. We always install a receptacle under the sink adjacent to the dishwasher. The cord, along with the plumbers tubing is routed through a hole in the cabinet. It provides a simple means of disconnect and service. Speaking of means of disconnect, dishwashers and ranges are still permitted to be hard wired leaving only the circuit breaker as a means of disconnect. I am really having trouble following some of the "logic" threads here.

e57

I'd put a lock clip on the breaker and hardwire the dishwasher. Cheapest and easiest.
I chuck an appliance cord on the unit if there isnt one delivered on it already, and leave it for the plumber to do whatever it is he needs to do... (No waiting... Sometimes I do it while it is still in the box long before it ever gets installed.) They then plug the thing into one of the outlets under the sink.... IMO quicker and cheaper from my point of view... And Often I flip the unit over so I dont have to bend down to do it.... (Don't tell...:roll:)

FYI A number of builders locally have removed themselves from the warantee risk/loss loop and have the seller of the appliances deliver, move, and install the appliances - lately I don't even have to do the cord - just the outlet. Often I'm long gone before the DW arrives...

Also - I heard lately that there is a massive recall of DW's going on now...
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10255.html
http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...-1-7-million-maytag-dishwashers-update2-.html

hurk27

Around here I still find many installs where the DW is hard wired and no lock out on the breaker or switch, and many inspectors don't even catch it, because of to many years of the older ones having a on off switch on the appliance which 422.34 (2002) would allow as a disconnect.

But the newer DW's with electronic timers would not be allowed.

Eagle126

Dishwasher disconnects

Dishwasher disconnects

The inspector in my town asked me to install to single pole switches along the counter top, one for the DW and one for the disposal and hard wire both, very easy and no receptacles to install or troubleshhoot. What do you think.

macmikeman

The inspector in my town asked me to install to single pole switches along the counter top, one for the DW and one for the disposal and hard wire both, very easy and no receptacles to install or troubleshhoot. What do you think.

I think if he wants to be an electrical engineer and design electrical systems, he should quit the town inspection dept. and go to college....

It is not a code requirement to have a switch for the d.w. up on the countertop. You can if you like to... Period.

jwelectric

I will pass it if they have a "breaker lock"
There is a very cheap way to do a DW . Simply leave 3 feet of romex out of wall. On trim hook up direct,install 1 breaker lock and done.
In that case, I'd rather hard-wire it, and snap a lock clip on the breaker. Faster and cheaper.

Let me start by saying I would not get involved in a discussion such as this simply because it is so silly, BUT, I got an early morning call from someone who questions the comments above. :mad:
To install a receptacle anywhere in the same space as the dishwasher would be code compliant as outlined in 422.16(B)(2). It could be in the back, sides, or even a floor receptacle looking up as the section does not state where it has to be. Should a code enforcement official here in NC turn me down for a receptacle in the back of the space he would be guaranteed a chance to explain to the “Q” Board his/her opinion on the matter. ;)
What is not allowed is a breaker lock out on an appliance that operates by an electric motor that has more than one eight horsepower. See 422.32
Therefore a breaker lock on a dishwasher might not be allowed so to make the comments above may be incorrect. The one in my kitchen would not be allowed a breaker lock.
Accessible, I suppose that the disconnect that is required to be accessible by 410.130(G)(3) would not be allowed to be inside the fixture simply because one would have to open the fixture and expose live parts. Okay people let’s start installing all these disconnects at eye level on the wall and within sight of each and every light fixture.

I must say that most of the time I enjoy some of these threads as I get a good laugh from them but to get a call while I am in the middle of a dream about spending time with………………. Oops, maybe I shouldn’t go there.
Thank you guys, after a cup of coffee and a little typing I did enjoy the thread. :grin:

Eagle126

Dishwasher

Dishwasher

O.K. I"ve decided, no breaker lock, no outlets anywhere inside the dishwasher compartment so there is no need to plug in and have any problems in the future for anyone concerned, the disconnect will be a single pole switch along the counter for ease and any emergency there will be no problem with access, direct wire to dishwasher.

macmikeman

O.K. I"ve decided, no breaker lock, no outlets anywhere inside the dishwasher compartment so there is no need to plug in and have any problems in the future for anyone concerned, the disconnect will be a single pole switch along the counter for ease and any emergency there will be no problem with access, direct wire to dishwasher.

You can if you like to. Me, I put that switch in the cabinet under the sink in a way that you can see the switch and the dishwasher both at the same time if you open the door under the sink. But if you want it up top where it is visable and easy to reach, thats ok. Now as far as your inspector telling you how thats what he wants, well that is another story. His job is to enforce the code, not dictate design to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.