2012 Patriot Act Lamp changes, Is it going to happen? YES or NO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mule

I hear alot of talk that it's going to happen, You'd think lamp manufacturers would be gear'n up, we're only talking less than 2yrs here.....So do you think it will actually happen?...YES or NO

Mule

Well I guess nobody really cares.....My supplier has been pump'n me full of talk about this bill, and how it effects incandescents post 2012...for me, Im trying to steer my customers away from installations that will cause them heartaches down the road, mostly in reguard to larger wattage recessed lighting cans. As the lumens currently available for CFL reflector lamps dont measure up when compared to halagen....and that was why I was asking in the first place.

Rewire

Well I guess nobody really cares.....My supplier has been pump'n me full of talk about this bill, and how it effects incandescents post 2012...for me, Im trying to steer my customers away from installations that will cause them heartaches down the road, mostly in reguard to larger wattage recessed lighting cans. As the lumens currently available for CFL reflector lamps dont measure up when compared to halagen....and that was why I was asking in the first place.

light bulbs currently less than 40 watts or more than 150 watts are exempt

wireguru

light bulbs currently less than 40 watts or more than 150 watts are exempt

does this mean we wont be able to get 50, 75, 90, 120w halogen pars? or is this just A type incandescents?

this is so stupid. they dont need to legislate the light we read by...stores are already stocking more CFLs than incandescents, consumers are switching to CFL where practical. The marketplace is taking care of switching to more efficient lamps just fine...no need to ban the incandescents...

GUNNING

retrofit kits ca ching!!!$$$$$

retrofit kits ca ching!!!$$$$$

Why give a flyin frank on missing light bulbs. Nobody is going to be going anywhere without light. I can see a politician saying ok you cant have light bulbs. This sounds like an urban legend to me.
Lets embrace the future not rewrite it via fox news and wikipedia.

iwire

Staff member

Split Bolt

This is what got the push toward CFLs and LEDs really going. I guess the idea is that the lamp manufacturers will greatly improve efficiency in the next couple of years! I see new LED products every day it seems, and the prices are slowly getting lower! We need to do something soon to avoid mandated blackouts that other countries are experiencing! I remember listening to CSPAN in traffic during all those debates, while sitting in traffic. Somebody (I think it was Hillary Clinton) read that an incandescent light bulb uses roughly 20% of the consumed electricity for light. The remaining 80% goes to heat! Surely there's room for some improvement there!:D

Not getting political, just thinking about my kids!:grin:

Mule

This is what got the push toward CFLs and LEDs really going. I guess the idea is that the lamp manufacturers will greatly improve efficiency in the next couple of years! I see new LED products every day it seems, and the prices are slowly getting lower! We need to do something soon to avoid mandated blackouts that other countries are experiencing! I remember listening to CSPAN in traffic during all those debates, while sitting in traffic. Somebody (I think it was Hillary Clinton) read that an incandescent light bulb uses roughly 20% of the consumed electricity for light. The remaining 80% goes to heat! Surely there's room for some improvement there!:D

Not getting political, just thinking about my kids!:grin:

That's why I like my light bulbs in the heating season, my furnace doesnt run as much...!!

haha

GUNNING

LED's are comming down. Saw some for $10 and $15. Soon it will be more common than the ratio of light bulbs are to CFL's. I noticed the backup position to each mandate was to harden the bulbs or lengthen the lifetime. Not such a bad thing. I cant wait till 100 year light bulbs are here again.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The 2008 CA energy standards are expected to reduce the growth in electricity use by 561 gigawatt-hours per year and reduce the growth in gas use by 19.0 million therms per year. The savings attributable to new low rise residences are 102.2 gigawatt-hours of electricity savings and 7.4 million therms. These savings are cumulative, resulting in 6 times the annual savings over the 3 years to the next cycle.

You may not like it, but it's coming and it works.

wireguru

I am not a fan of LEDs for general lighting. They make everything look wierd and give me eye strain (lack of color gamut?)

Fast1911

I am not a fan of LEDs for general lighting. They make everything look wierd and give me eye strain (lack of color gamut?)

ahhh yes, but they do look really cool when installed in a bar scenario :cool:

DSCF1754.jpg

DSCF1753.jpg

DSCF1752.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
... I guess the idea is that the lamp manufacturers will greatly improve efficiency in the next couple of years! ...

This is how combination AFCI's got put into code books before they were available, how well did that go over with most of us?

We need to do something soon to avoid mandated blackouts that other countries are experiencing! ..

Energy companies are stepping on their own feet in many cases. We still need to use energy wisely though.

an incandescent light bulb uses roughly 20% of the consumed electricity for light. The remaining 80% goes to heat! Surely there's room for some improvement there!:D

Kerosene lamps were no different and we now have dem dare newfangled electric lamps.

If it is cold outside you can use the heat anyhow.

ahhh yes, but they do look really cool when installed in a bar scenario :cool:

DSCF1754.jpg

DSCF1753.jpg

DSCF1752.jpg

depends if you are drinking at the bar.

e57

My heads swim'n......:roll: that's some boring reading
You may have read more of it than the people who signed it.

Anyway - I'm sure there will remain to be A-19's with tungsten wire glowing inside flooding across the borders. The war on the incandescent light bulbs will be about as effective as other wars on contraband items. I'm sure there will be boot-leg bulbs available until prohibition is over by demand of the people. And all those who smuggle them back home when on vacation abroad.

kwired

Electron manager
You may have read more of it than the people who signed it.

Anyway - I'm sure there will remain to be A-19's with tungsten wire glowing inside flooding across the borders. The war on the incandescent light bulbs will be about as effective as other wars on contraband items. I'm sure there will be boot-leg bulbs available until prohibition is over by demand of the people. And all those who smuggle them back home when on vacation abroad.

Great, now US customs not only will need to look for drugs, but illegal light bulbs, or even illegal light bulbs with drugs inside them.

Status
Not open for further replies.