600a service

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
We would have to fill out a load data sheet and they would use that for sizing the transformer and the conductors.

They could use what we consider small conductors, I know of one 600 amp service close by fed with 3/0.

Roger

Ruff-N

Around the area I work I see a lot of 200 amp 1 ph residential UG services fed with 1/0 alum. and almost all OH services are in #2 alum triplex some are #4 triplex alum. The new subdivison 200 amp are run in either 1/0 alum or 4/0 alum. Commercial it varies I went on a call a fast food place where the meter base lugs had melted 400 amp 1ph service UG fed with 1 run of 4/0 alum. from pole to meter base meter base 320 amp. Out in west Texas I've seen residential OH 3 phase fed with 1/0 alum quadplex. which puts a lot of stress on the 2" RGC when the quadplex is supported by the 2" RGC.

Ruff-N

If poco owns it, they can run what they want. 90.2(B)(5) Hopefully it will be of sufficient size.:) Whatever that means.:roll:

I'm sure the POCO knows what to install for the the service to work as intended. Hendrix, I would schedule a job site survey with a POCO rep. if you have questions.

Last edited:

construct

Around here, the POCO sizes the conductors based on their historical data of power consumption for a particular occupancy. I too have seen 200 amp single phase fed with 1/0 aluminum.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If it was done by an electrician, I think that it would need 750kcm paralleled cu.

I take it you don't believe my post.

230.42 Minimum Size and Rating.
(A) General. The ampacity of the service-entrance conductors before the application of any adjustment or correction factors shall not be less than either (A)(1) or (A)(2). Loads shall be determined in accordance with Part III, IV, or V of Article 220, as applicable. Ampacity shall be determined from 310.15. The maximum allowable current of busways shall be that value for which the busway has been listed or labeled.
(1) The sum of the noncontinuous loads plus 125 percent of continuous loads
(2) The sum of the noncontinuous load plus the continuous load if the service-entrance conductors terminate in an overcurrent device where both the overcurrent device and its assembly are listed for operation at 100 percent of their rating

MarkyMarkNC

We would have to fill out a load data sheet and they would use that for sizing the transformer and the conductors.

They could use what we consider small conductors, I know of one 600 amp service close by fed with 3/0.

Roger

Yep. I remember four or five years ago, upgrading a commercial 120/208V building from 400A to 600A service. When I called up the POCO to ask when they were upgrading the lateral, they told me they weren't planning on it.

POCO wire to the service was 3/0.

On new 600A services, they will run larger than that. In this case, the upgrade was due to the total load on the building bumping up to around 440 amps, so they kept it as it was.

Specs on the prints for my side of the service called for parallel 250 mcm. They sure looked funny tapped into that skinny little 3/0 wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.