240.24(b)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Had someone come in and give us half the information about adding a demising wall to spit one suite into two.

Come to find out that there is only one panel and it is in one of the suites. I cited 240.24(B) as the violation.

Got a call this morning and they asked if they had to install a seperate meter of if the could just add another subpanel off of the one that already exists. I think just putting a breaker in the existing panel to feed a new one would still be in violation of the code section above.

I'm wondering if they could just put in double lugs in the one panel and feed the other. Only problem with that is, turn off the main to work on one panel, you would turn them both off.

Opinions?

pete m.

210.25(B) may also be a consideration if the panel in the existing tenant space feeds any egress lighting or exterior building lighting required for egress.

Just a thought.

Pete

(I know that does not address the original question.... still efforting an opinion on that)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Come to find out that there is only one panel and it is in one of the suites. I cited 240.24(B) as the violation.
Agreed.
I think just putting a breaker in the existing panel to feed a new one would still be in violation of the code section above.
At first glance, I thought not. The requirement is that each tenant have access to breakers protecting the wiring in their spaces. There is no requirement that they be the only ones to have such access. If there is a panel in the second space, then the occupant of that space will have access to their own overcurrent devices. However, a single breaker in one panel that feeds a panel in the other space does constitute an OCPD, and it does protect conductors (i.e., the feeder to the other panel) in the other space, and the occupant of the second space can?t get to that one breaker. So it took me a moment to understand what you are saying here. But now I agree with you.
I'm wondering if they could just put in double lugs in the one panel and feed the other. Only problem with that is, turn off the main to work on one panel, you would turn them both off.
Inconvenient, yes. Code violation, no.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Agreed.At first glance, I thought not. The requirement is that each tenant have access to breakers protecting the wiring in their spaces. There is no requirement that they be the only ones to have such access. If there is a panel in the second space, then the occupant of that space will have access to their own overcurrent devices. However, a single breaker in one panel that feeds a panel in the other space does constitute an OCPD, and it does protect conductors (i.e., the feeder to the other panel) in the other space, and the occupant of the second space can?t get to that one breaker. So it took me a moment to understand what you are saying here. But now I agree with you.Inconvenient, yes. Code violation, no.

Thanks Charlie, so the double lugs may be their "out card".

Status
Not open for further replies.