Bathroom Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
But, unlike kitchen SABC receptacles, it doesn't say that every receptacle in the bathroom must be on a 20a bath-receptacle-only circuit.

It must still be GFCI-protected, of course.

That's the way I'd go with this. Time for another Poll? :grin:

One-eyed Jack

If the code allows lighting to be on the circuit with the bath recep if the circuit doesn't leave that room then what would be the problem with allowing a recep. that is not part of the required recep by the sink to be on with the lighting.

Again is a washing machine allowed in a bathroom-- mine is. :) Of course it is on a separate 20 amp circuit but a better case would be a switched outlet for a picture light or lamp. I have done this and as long as it is GFCI protected I believe it is okay.

If this recep. was added after inspection then I wouldn't bother calling the inspector but for future installs it may be worth checking with the ahj.

This is basically what Augie said and I agree. Everthing in a single bathroom can be on the circuit provided for that bathroom only. If you leave that bathroom you may only supply recp. in both bathrooms with the required bathroom 20 amp circuit.

sweetcav

So I am doing a bathroom on the second floor of a cape cod and I have already run my bath GFCI, can i run my lighting for my bath on that line to? This is the only bath on this line. I was going to run the bath lighting off of the general lighting but that would be a real PITA (most of the second floor is already finished) this would save me a lot.

kwired

Electron manager
As mentioned above I disagree with the fact that you cannot have another recep. in the bathroom unless it is on the bathroom required circuit. If that were true then you could not have a washing machine in a bathroom.

Look at the definition of bathroom in Art. 100

Bathroom. An area including a basin with one or more of the following: a toilet, a tub, or a shower.

Where does this area end? It does not mention room. Although most of us would agree in most cases the area is the entire room. What about a bathroom that has a door between the sink, and tub and/or toilet. I see this all the time. I always treat the whole area as a bathroom even though it is separate rooms. I have seen bedrooms with a sink and tub in the same room as the main bedroom area and a separate room with a toilet only. Is the main room a bedroom or a bathroom, we now also have AFCI issues with the bedroom. I personally would treat the bathroom area as a bathroom and the bedroom area as a bedroom.

And if there was a washer and dryer in the bathroom that area containing the laundry equipment is the laundry area and not a bathroom IMO. Laundry receptacle only needs GFCI if within 6 feet of sink, although I will install GFCI if within 6 feet of tub or shower also, not because of the washer but because of what else may get plugged into the washer outlet.

e57

IMO you can have an outlet on the lighting circuit, as it is in addition to the required circuit serving the vanity receptical(s) - and yes - I do it too from time to time. ;)

Now - if a client asked for a outlet for a cord connected lamp next to the tub... I might ask who they were going to 'knock the lamp over into the tub' with. :roll: It would be of course GFI protected - but why not install a permanent light fixture instead? (So long as the switch was not <5' from the tub.... ;) A CEC requirement... But Recepticals are the same - see the "Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development" add-on code in 406.8(C)1 - like anyone pays attention to that.... :roll: )
(1) [OSHPD 1, 2 & 4] Receptacles shall not be installed within shower rooms or stalls or be accessible from within these areas. Receptacles shall not be installed within 5 feet (1.52 m) of the perimeter of bathtubs.
Most bathrooms are hardly 5' wide which contradicts other codes - but that agency puts that & the simular one for switches in there every code cycle...​

Split Bolt

So I am doing a bathroom on the second floor of a cape cod and I have already run my bath GFCI, can i run my lighting for my bath on that line to? This is the only bath on this line. I was going to run the bath lighting off of the general lighting but that would be a real PITA (most of the second floor is already finished) this would save me a lot.

Just don't forget to run #12 to your lights in that bathroom!:grin:

I have been interpreting the code as requiring all bathroom recepts to be on the 20A circuit, but now I wonder! I once old-worked a receptacle in a bathroom next to the toilet for a client. She had a lamp or something there and had been running a cord into her master bedroom. I took power from a receptacle in the bedroom that was back-to- back in the same stud space and used a GFI recept. At the time, I told her this was a code violation, but safer than the cord situation. Now I feel better about the whole thing and will be able to sleep nights! Thanks Larry!:D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
And if there was a washer and dryer in the bathroom that area containing the laundry equipment is the laundry area and not a bathroom IMO.
I disagree. I never refer to my bathroom as the laundry room it is simply a bathroom with the laundry equipment. There is no definition for laundry room but there is for a bathroom, thus this is a bthroom and not a laundry room with a bathroom in it. IMO.

fireryan

Just don't forget to run #12 to your lights in that bathroom!:grin:

I have been interpreting the code as requiring all bathroom recepts to be on the 20A circuit, but now I wonder! I once old-worked a receptacle in a bathroom next to the toilet for a client. She had a lamp or something there and had been running a cord into her master bedroom. I took power from a receptacle in the bedroom that was back-to- back in the same stud space and used a GFI recept. At the time, I told her this was a code violation, but safer than the cord situation. Now I feel better about the whole thing and will be able to sleep nights! Thanks Larry!:D

I was under the impression that you could take #14nm to the lights from a switch box that is supplied with #12nm. We always do it here and never had any inspection problems.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I was under the impression that you could take #14nm to the lights from a switch box that is supplied with #12nm. We always do it here and never had any inspection problems.

on what size breaker ?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
"They" are allowing you to violate the NEC :)It was a much accepted parctice in some local areas here but no longer accepted, and, to the best of my knowledge never NEC allowed.

kwired

Electron manager
I disagree. I never refer to my bathroom as the laundry room it is simply a bathroom with the laundry equipment. There is no definition for laundry room but there is for a bathroom, thus this is a bthroom and not a laundry room with a bathroom in it. IMO.

I did not say your bathroom is a laundry room, I said the area containing the laundry equipment is the laundry area and that the code does not define a bathroom as a room but as an area. Most people prefer to be able to separate themselves from other 'rooms' when using this area and we usually have the area well defined by walls, but it is not always the case.

I have seen many basements that have a sink, toilet, and shower and maybe a portable partition but no interior walls, does this make the entire basement a bathroom - no service equipment or overcurrent devices are allowed in the bathroom which is the entire basement if it does, even in the far opposite corner.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I did not say your bathroom is a laundry room, I said the area containing the laundry equipment is the laundry area and that the code does not define a bathroom as a room but as an area.
Okay I get it, a bathroom is not a room :roll:. I really didn't think that something called a Bath ROOM needed to be defined as a room. IMO, the bathroom contains the laundry equipment and your thinking would never fly in this area. Perhaps it would where you are.

Around here if the washer is in a bathroom, they used to let you install a single recep. for the washer if it were behind the washer and not have it on a GFCI. This is clearly a violation, IMO and I believe they stopped that practice.

e57

Just because you 'have not had any problems' if suppying this on a 20A breaker - it still is a violation of 240.4 - just means your inspectors are not paying attention.

growler

just curious--where is it that they are allowing this?

readydave8 I have herd that there are a couple of counties here in north georgia that will allow smaller wire on a switch leg.

I'm not sure if it's really allowed or if the inspectors don't check so everyone just assumes it's allowed.

There is a difference between being allowed and not being caught on inspection. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.