Do you use copper SEC or Aluminum when you do a service change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

I think you are right............Nobody else cares wether it is conduit or SE except electricians

That's what I always say. Now, someone will come along and say "The customer will care when you have to replace their service because water leaked in through the cable." That's why I use silicone caulk and NOT duct seal when sealing the top of the meter socket and the hole into the house.

Bjenks

When you do Al feeders for commercial work, do you also use Al EGC? I see where some engineers will use Al for the conductors and CU for EGC. Not sure if there is an advantage or just that Cu is better and the cost difference for the smaller conductors isnt as big a deal versus the Current Carrying Cond. I either go all Al or all Cu, but was wondering about this other option.

satcom

Try not to worry about Al or Cu and think about the real problem when you use SE cable, and the head and cable fittings are not sealed to prevent water from entering, over the years the poor work and failure to seal well, has generated a huge amount of repair and replace work for us, and we get a good number of unhappy customers, that had recent services installed, and will never call back the company that did the work.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
When you do Al feeders for commercial work, do you also use Al EGC? I see where some engineers will use Al for the conductors and CU for EGC. Not sure if there is an advantage or just that Cu is better and the cost difference for the smaller conductors isnt as big a deal versus the Current Carrying Cond. I either go all Al or all Cu, but was wondering about this other option.
I don't like to put copper and aluminum in the same raceway.

flyboy

The use of duxseal should of been banned years ago.

You could use real duck poop and keep more water from entering the service.

But is does provide us with MANY new service changes :D

I have been using 100% rubber silicone for many years and never had a call back.

Even Latex caulk is garbage and should never be used.

I had young wet behind the ears inspector tell me I couldn't use rubber silcone because it wasn't approved (didn't have a UL listing).

We use it anyway and then cover it with ductseal.

Status
Not open for further replies.