Single phase panel improperly wired as 3 phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If you're in a residence and you don't know that it's single phase and the wire color confuses you, you probably shouldn't be doing electrical work:roll:.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I did notice that the post was about an installation in Chicago. They have their own rules, for instance they require conduit in residences. They may also have specifics about wire color. I don't have a copy of the code used in Chicago but I have heard it is very restrictive.

kwired

Electron manager
He said cables, you can re-identify small cables. You cannot re-identify small conductors in pipe.

He did say cable, he also said if #6 or larger. All conductor sizes that are part of a cable assembly can be re-identified. If it is a cable then the #6 or larger part should have not been mentioned - that is what I was responding to.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We used to run 12/4 cables all of the time when you had a 120 volt circuit and a 240 volt A/C circuit in the same room. :cool:

As many others have stated blue is fine in a dwelling with a single phase service. My own house has some brown, orange, yellow, and grey AC cable that was left over from a commercial job. Let the next guy figure it out or hire an electrician. :D

mivey

My own house has some brown, orange, yellow, and grey AC cable that was left over from a commercial job. Let the next guy figure it out or hire an electrician. :D
Better leave a disclaimer in the panel so you won't get profiled. :grin:

stjohnbarleycorn

I guess it would be nice to have the phase conductors identified ( only two colors) in a single phase panel. I don't see too many problems with electricians using the same phase and single pole breakers for a 240 v circuit, DIY is another story. But in the places where romex is used you can't really color code anyway without using tape. In conduit I use a number of colors for what ever panel I am running from if there is a number of conductors. But I stay away from the rainbow.

kwired

Electron manager
I guess it would be nice to have the phase conductors identified ( only two colors) in a single phase panel...

What purpose does this really serve? So you know line A and line B. You can flip flop them all you want and will have no change in the connected load. Three phase you have the rotation issue and possible wild leg or grounded phase issue, so it is more important to know which line you have sometimes.

With MWBC'c you now need to somehow identify which neutral conductor goes with what hot conductors, I still see little importance in knowing which phase is which as much as knowing that I have either two or all three phases common to one neutral conductor. I see knowing which phase is which being more important on motor circuits where reversal of phases will reverse direction of motor.

How many people out there actually mark the supply lines on a single phase system - especially in a place that only has one voltage system?

It serves no purpose. Do you land a bunch of romexes on the red line and mark them red at every junction or device box?

..I don't see too many problems with electricians using the same phase and single pole breakers for a 240 v circuit, DIY is another story...

What do you mean by this statement? You must use two phase conductors and a multipole breaker for 240 volts unless you have a 240/480 single phase, 240 two wire system or 240/480 delta three phase system.

Status
Not open for further replies.