Two prong tester!

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It upset me so much that I posted a reply on that forum, stating essentially that it is an extraordinarily stupid idea.

RICK NAPIER

That is an amazingly stupid idea but a very good post from Charlie. Perhaps a few of us should support his post with a post of our own. Maybe a number of negative comments may make him rethink his folly.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
That is an amazingly stupid idea but a very good post from Charlie. Perhaps a few of us should support his post with a post of our own. Maybe a number of negative comments may make him rethink his folly.

Did it.

Judging from his responses I doubt he will change much. Just look at his picture on the right side of the blog. He looks like he has had more than just a tingle using his contraption while standing on wet concrete. :grin:

mivey

Not sure what type tester he based his design on. I have several neon contact-type testers that I have used for probably 30+ years. The difference is, I never get a "tingle".

I used to work with a guy that would find the un-grounded conductor by touch (120 volt only, as I recall). I always figured he just had real dry skin as he would occasionally have to lick his fingers to get his "meter" to work. Not my idea of a good idea.

mxslick

I threw my response in as well.. this guy is gonna kill himself or get someone else killed thanks to his "invention." I would love to see him try that device and get caught by OSHA...

I'm with Larry and Dennis on this one, he's not gonna take it down. Perhaps a post from one of those injury lawyers thanking him for generating clients might change his mind...:roll:

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Not sure what type tester he based his design on. I have several neon contact-type testers that I have used for probably 30+ years. The difference is, I never get a "tingle".

I used to work with a guy that would find the un-grounded conductor by touch (120 volt only, as I recall). I always figured he just had real dry skin as he would occasionally have to lick his fingers to get his "meter" to work. Not my idea of a good idea.

50 years ago touching bare wires to check for voltage was not only common, it's methods were even discussed in old NEC's.

This contraption is no different than plugging a three prong receptacle tester into a two prong adapter and touching the ungrounded grounding terminal (the little brass terminal at the bottom of the adapter) to partially complete a path to ground via the body. Well, there is a difference, he cut the ground prong off the tester altogether...but electrically they would be the same...provided he didn't do any internal damage to the tester during the amputation process....

mivey

I have several neon contact-type testers that I have used for probably 30+ years. The difference is, I never get a "tingle".
You touch the metal ring on one end and the screwdriver tip to the wire. It looks like this but I think mine has a higher voltage rating: http://www.mytoolssupply.com/11-328...ner_Bender_GST201_Circuit_Tester__Screwdriver

or here (you can see the internal resistor and neon bulb):

http://www.elightbulbs.com/catalog_product.cfm?source=BecomeCSE&prod=MP59040

mivey

50 years ago touching bare wires to check for voltage was not only common, it's methods were even discussed in old NEC's.
Anyone care to post some quotes? I only have back to 1978 and I don't recall it being acceptable then.

I do remember someone posting a clip about shock resuscitation. Still hard to believe it was fact.

mcclary's electrical

The guys an idiot, if he was not, he would have whole heartedly accepted Charlie's advise. Instead, it was rejected.

I think we all should post a comment in hopes that at least his "followers" will understand how much of an idiot he is.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Anyone care to post some quotes? I only have back to 1978 and I don't recall it being acceptable then.

They still do it that way in Europe:

vilcus_plug.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.