Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Great pic.

I'll see if I can post it on his blog.

Oh, and just so we don't have to break out the bare wire..

vilcus_plug_adapter.jpg

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Charlie

Great post. I bet he will remove it soon.

I try to help some of these individuals but the attack me when I do so.

I had one tell a realtor that I was an idiot and didn't know what I was talking about when I told her that he was wrong. He was going to go to his home inspectors meetings and talk about me. I suggested that she simply ask him one question, "how long has he been the Chief Electrical Inspector for his jurisdiction?". I never heard from him again.:)

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Not sure what type tester he based his design on. I have several neon contact-type testers that I have used for probably 30+ years. The difference is, I never get a "tingle".

I used to work with a guy that would find the un-grounded conductor by touch (120 volt only, as I recall). I always figured he just had real dry skin as he would occasionally have to lick his fingers to get his "meter" to work. Not my idea of a good idea.

When I was going to tech school a long time ago, they would have us help the maintaince guy with his duties, he would check a 480 volt bus plug in the machine shop with his finger to see if any of the fuses were blown! One day he shorted out a 480 volt furnace control with a screwdriver to find the breaker, there were 10 people standing there watching him, after he done it, he was the only one left in the room!

mivey

When I was going to tech school a long time ago, they would have us help the maintaince guy with his duties, he would check a 480 volt bus plug in the machine shop with his finger to see if any of the fuses were blown! One day he shorted out a 480 volt furnace control with a screwdriver to find the breaker, there were 10 people standing there watching him, after he done it, he was the only one left in the room!
Old school, I guess.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
I think we will be reading about this guy in the Darwin Awards column fairly soon. He does not appear to understand how stupid this is. Hopefully no one else will attempt to duplicate his "invention".

ronaldrc

Don't blame you all for being upset.

But you know that is no different from the screw driver neon tester which allows somewhere
in the neighborhood of all of 10 to 15 microamps to flow through the body when used.

About all the manufactures make them. I'm sure they where checked out for safety.

What you seen him use is his prototype, do you really think he is going to manufacture it that way. He was just giving a demo.

How are you all going to feel if he patents it and makes a pile of money?Not very likely but you never know, that screw driver tester has made someone wealthy I'm sure.

mivey

Don't recall the other manufacturer's publishing a how-to blog and snubbing their nose at what UL might think,.

Add: and making fun of those who caution about the safety concerns.

ronaldrc

I had to go google CAT to see if it was legit or not, it was that would be between him and the manufacturers.I don't know what do you think 250 microamps.I don't have a clue?

Defamatory

Defamatory

Jeez guys, I appreciate everyone?s concern here, but I feel quite insulted.

?extraordinarily stupid idea.?

?Just look at his picture on the right side of the blog. He looks like he has had more than just a tingle using his contraption while standing on wet concrete.?

?this guy is gonna kill himself or get someone else killed?

?The guys an idiot?

?But we cannot outlaw stupid?

?I think we will be reading about this guy in the Darwin Awards column fairly soon?

?It gets a little scarier. He is a "******** State Certified Building Official, Limited #******".?

This comes from your forum rules: ?You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory??

Aside from that, I removed the post at ActiveRain because of all the nasty comments. I asked the first commenter to prove how this was unsafe. I expected someone to give a logical explanation of how this device could cause someone to get injured, but all I got back was several more insulting comments from people telling me their professional background.

Contrary to what some of you have said, I?m not encouraging anyone to do this ? I said ?Don?t try this at home.? Nevertheless, in an attempt to stop all of the insulting comments, I added this line at the top of the blog on my web site: ?Warning: Do not try this at home, at work, or anywhere else. You could get electrocuted.? Is that still not enough? The comments keep coming though.

- Reuben

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum Reuben.:)

Let me explain how little current it takes to kill a person.

This list shows the different levels of electric shock based on milliamps.

0.5 - 3 - Tingling sensations
3 - 10 - Muscle contractions and pain
10 - 40 - ?Let-go? threshold
30 - 75 - Respiratory paralysis
100 - 200 - Ventricular fibrillation
200 - 500 - Heart clamps tight
1500 + - Tissue and Organs start to burn

So when you are feeling the shock you are receiving at least .5 milliamps of current passing through your body. At 10 milliamps of current you can no longer let go of the conductor.

At around 100 milliamps your heart goes in ventricular fibrillation and without immediate medical care you will die.

So basically any "Shock" has the potential of causing serious health problems or even death.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.