Bare ground in conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
No, assuming that you are asking about the equipment grounding conductor and not about the grounded conductor.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Watch for solid -vs- stranded though. Many people seem to buy bare in solid. You can't pull solid wire larger than #10 through a raceway.

SG-1

During a fault the bare can arc & spark to the rigid conduit causing damage to the ungrounded & grounded conductors in multible places that may not have happened with an insulated EGC.

M4gery

During a fault the bare can arc & spark to the rigid conduit causing damage to the ungrounded & grounded conductors in multible places that may not have happened with an insulated EGC.

If the bare EGC and pipe were bonded at both ends, would you have arcing between them?

JJWalecka

I was under the assumtion that, under a fault condition, a bare conductor would literally be cut in half at the piont in penetrates an unbonded raceway.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I was under the assumtion that, under a fault condition, a bare conductor would literally be cut in half at the piont in penetrates an unbonded raceway.
That is possible where very high AC currents are flowing on a single conductor (no other conductors in the same raceway) installed in a ferrous raceway.
The only single conductor that is permitted to be installed in a ferrous raceway by the code is a grounding electrode conductor.
The issue does not occur when you install all of the circuit conductor and the EGC in the same raceway.

iwire

Staff member
There would be a difference of potential between the bare EGC and the conduit during fault conditions.

If that was enough to make a damaging arc is a crap shoot in my opinion.

kwired

Electron manager
There would be a difference of potential between the bare EGC and the conduit during fault conditions.

If that was enough to make a damaging arc is a crap shoot in my opinion.

Would it be a big enough difference that it will cause a high amount of current to flow through any arc that does occur? The voltage will drop in a great quantity from the fault back to the source, but with a bare conductor in contact frequently inside a metal raceway the potential is probably very limited. - That is exactly what happens in an AC cable with the aluminum bonding wire, if there was very much arcing between that small bond wire and the cable jacket it would not survive fault events.

Also the same would be true for any other grounded conductive object in contact with the metal raceway.

Status
Not open for further replies.